When I’m entertaining I like to have a variety of snacks and appetizers from chips and dip to cheeses, meats, and crackers, but I also like to have something heartier that might not be a full-on dinner. When that’s the case, I love serving these Buffalo chicken sliders that are full of spicy flavor but also hearty enough to fill bellies while we are all throwing back a beer (or wine) or two.
While these cheesy buffalo chicken sliders are so ideal for game day, tailgating, or other celebrations, you can also make them for a weeknight meal. They’re so easy and versatile that they fit into nearly every occasion.
The key to these is that you can place the whole dish of them into the oven which eliminates making individual sandwiches. Plus, everyone’s slider comes out hot and ready to eat this way.
The next time you’re looking for a simple yet filling and satisfying small sandwich that will feed a crowd, check out this easy recipe that will no doubt be a crowd-pleaser.
Common Questions about Buffalo Chicken Sliders
What cheese is the best to pair with Buffalo Chicken Sliders?
Mozzarella is the top choice of cheese to go with spicy chicken but everyone’s palate is different. Provolone is another cheese that could be a perfect pairing but you can go bolder with a sharp cheddar, pepper jack, or a smoky gouda, too.
Why is it called a slider?
The term slider appears to have multiple potential origins that range from being attributed to White Castles’ small burgers to being referred to by U.S. navy sailors in the 1940s as a reference to the greasy nature of small-sized hamburgers at the time. Since then, the term has grown to encompass all sorts of smaller sandwiches.
Isn’t Buffalo chicken fried?
Often you’ll find buffalo chicken wings or chicken sandwiches with the name “Buffalo” attached to them sporting a fried version of the meat. For this slider, we use shredded chicken to make the preparation process easier but if you want to incorporate fried chicken instead, go for it!
Making Buffalo Chicken Sliders Ahead of Time
You can make the chicken ahead of time and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours or freeze it for up to 3 months. You can also mix the sauces ahead of time and refrigerate them for up to 1 day before using them.
Storing the individual ingredients is easy. However, once the sliders are prepared they do have the potential to become soggy if stored in the refrigerator.
Refrigerator: If you have leftovers, you can store these for 1-2 days in an airtight container or ziploc bags. You may find that they become a fork-and-knife meal rather than a handheld sandwich given the moisture from the sauce.
Freezing: Freezing the entire sandwich isn’t recommended but you can freeze the shredded chicken and thaw it before using it for the sandwich.
Making the Best Buffalo Chicken Sliders
These ingredients couldn’t be more simple or easy to source. You don’t even need to cook the bird — just get a rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store.
- Cooked chicken (pulled/shredded – you can cook chicken breasts or get a prepared chicken)
- Buffalo sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Soft dinner rolls or sweet Hawaiian rolls
- Mozzarella cheese (grated)
- Butter (unsalted and melted)
- Dried parsley flakes
- Garlic powder
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Hot sauce
- Buffalo sauce
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
You don’t need much to make these simple sliders.
- Baking dish (13×9) or baking sheet
- Cooking spray
- Large bowl
- Long serrated knife
- Microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup
- Basting or pastry Brush
- Rubber spatula
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Sliders
These are the easiest little sandwiches to put together that also pack a punch of spicy flavor with a backdrop of creamy dressing and buttery bread.
- Add the shredded chicken, Buffalo sauce, and ranch dressing together in a bowl until the mixture is completely combined and all of the chicken is evenly covered with the sauce.
- With a long serrated knife slice the rolls lengthwise. Ensure that they are sliced into even halves and set the bottom half aside.
- Line the bottom of the prepared baking dish with the bottom halves of the rolls.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on the rolls.
- Spoon the chicken mixture onto the rolls, over the cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the chicken on each roll.
- Top all of the sliders with the top half of the rolls.
- Combine melted butter, parsley flakes, and garlic powder. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Using the pastry/basting brush spread the butter mixture over the top of the slider buns. If you don’t have a brush you can slowly drizzle it out of a measuring cup.
- Place the baking dish, covered with aluminum foil, into the oven.
- Bake until the chicken is warmed and the cheese is melted.
- Then, remove the foil and continue to bake until the rolls are a light golden brown.
What to Serve With Buffalo Chicken Sliders
The sliders are a show-stopper all on their own for game day or other celebrations, but you can serve some great sides to go with these, too.
- Celery – This often overlooked vegetable is almost always on the plate when you get Buffalo wings at a restaurant. Serve it in smaller-sized slices ideal for dipping up drippings from the sandwich, or stuff halves of celery sticks with cream cheese, softened bleu cheese, or ranch dressing and sprinkle cayenne or red pepper flakes on top (and even drizzle with buffalo sauce) to channel the same flavor profile.
- Salad – You can make a green salad but some of my favorite sides for this dish are crunchy coleslaw, potato salad, macaroni salad, and creamy broccoli salad.
- Mac and cheese – All of the creamy dairy in the mac and cheese will cut through the heat of the buffalo sauce.
- Flight of beer – Especially if it’s a day of celebration or game day, a cold brew pairs well with Buffalo chicken whether in the format of a wing or a slider. Choose a variety of beers and put out some glasses — let guests choose their own personal pairings.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
If you have guests coming over for game day, Buffalo sauce flavors will win them over for sure. But there are other reasons to give this recipe a whirl.
- Easy – Instead of building individual sandwiches one at a time this pulls the whole process together so you can feed a crowd quickly.
- Universal – Most people enjoy the flavor of buffalo chicken, especially when it’s covered in cheese and enveloped in a buttery and toasty warmed roll. To make it palatable for all of your guests, keep the heat level at mild to medium and offer extra hot sauce on the side.
- Portable – You can assemble these in a casserole dish with a lid to take to a party. They transport easily and you can quickly heat them there.
- Versatile – While these are perfect for game-watching they’re also excellent as appetizers for any party in all seasons.
Variations and Add-ins
This is such an easy recipe to modify using all sorts of other ingredients or additions.
- Meat – While chicken is the standard when it comes to buffalo sauce-slathered meat you can also use turkey (think: Thanksgiving leftovers) or pork. You can even use venison or beef or experiment with seafood like shrimp.
- Dressing – Instead of ranch try just tossing the blue cheese dressing right in or substituting a creamy Caesar dressing.
- Bread – Instead of traditional rolls, use already-baked biscuits.
- Cheese – Use any cheese you think will work for your family and friends. Swap out the mozzarella for provolone cheese, Monterey jack, or cheddar cheese, or get more adventurous by adding a sliced smoked gouda or spreading on a garlic herb-infused Boursin.
- Veggies – Offer a spread of veggie toppings like fresh or pickled red cabbage, sauteed mushrooms, roasted red peppers, or other options that complement the spicy sandwich.
- Pickles – There are few sandwiches that aren’t made better by the addition of pickles. Place a bowl (or more) of dill pickles or other artisanally flavored/infused pickle varieties to place in between the buns.
- Green onions – Slice some green onions and toss them in with the chicken mixture or serve on the side for guests to add on top.
- Dressing – Instead of ranch dressing from the jar you can add ranch seasoning to the mixture on its own or mixed with mayo or sour cream.
- Veggie tray – With all of that meat, cheese, and bread you’re going to need some vegetables for nutrients. Put out a crudite tray with dip for a snacky way to get some vegetables in.
- Seasoning – You can add any flavors that you like. Garlic salt and Italian seasoning work well.
- Chicken tenders – If you’re really in a hurry you can use defrosted frozen chicken tenders in place of the pulled chicken.
Other Spicy Dishes
Raspberry Chipotle Chicken Sliders
Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy Sausage
If you love this easy Buffalo Chicken Sliders recipe, you’re going to love these other party recipes too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Other Must-Make Slider Recipes
Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Sliders
Poppy Seed Ham and Cheese Sliders
Instant Pot Italian Beef Sliders
Brown Sugar Balsamic Pulled Pork Sliders
Raspberry Chipotle Chicken Sliders
Sausage Egg Bacon Cheese Breakfast Sliders
Cheeseburger Sliders with Hawaiian Rolls
If you love this recipe for Buffalo Chicken Sliders as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH TASTE OF THE FRONTIER!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- 3 cups cooked chicken pulled/shredded like rotisserie
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- ½ cup ranch dressing plus more for serving if you desire
- 12 dinner rolls or Hawaiian rolls
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese grated
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted – melted
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Hot sauce
- Buffalo sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 13×9 baking dish with foil and lightly spray it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, and ranch dressing until the chicken is coated with the sauce.
- Using a long, serrated knife slice the rolls in half, lengthwise.
- Place the bottom side of the rolls in the prepared pan.
- Add about 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese to the top of rolls in the pan.
- Add the chicken mixture on top of the cheese.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Place the top half of the rolls on top.
- Melt the butter in a small microwave safe-bowl or measuring cup.
- Stir in the parsley flakes and garlic powder.
- Brush rolls with the butter mixture.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the chicken is heated through.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for 4-5 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.
- Serve immediately with any toppings of your choice.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Share Your Thoughts