Valentine cinnamon rolls are a festive Valentine’s Day breakfast that’s always a big hit at our house. They’re a great way to start the day and make the house smell delicious.
This is one of my favorite cinnamon roll recipes for two reasons. They’re absolutely addictively delicious and they’re so much fun with their playful heart shape and pretty sprinkles.
Also, don’t think you need to reserve this recipe for Valentine’s Day! They’re great for other special occasions, too, like anniversaries or Mother’s Day.
The next time you’re thinking about buying a store-bought version, consider making these sweet homemade heart-shaped cinnamon rolls instead.
Common Questions about Valentine Cinnamon Rolls
What is the difference between cinnamon rolls and cinnamon buns?
Cinnamon buns are released from the pan upside down so that the sweet mixture in the bottom of the pan is on top. Cinnamon rolls are frosted after baking.
Why aren’t my cinnamon rolls soft?
Using too much flour in the dough can lead to hard or dense rolls.
How do I keep my cinnamon rolls moist?
If you have leftover cinnamon rolls make sure to wrap them (or the pan) tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep air out.
Making Valentine Cinnamon Rolls Ahead of Time
Cinnamon rolls are best made fresh but you can make the whole recipe and refrigerate them until you’re ready to serve. Reheat them in the oven and then add the frosting.
Cinnamon rolls should be stored in an airtight container to keep air from drying them out.
Refrigerator: Keep cinnamon rolls in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Freezing: Store cinnamon rolls in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
Tips For The Best Valentine Cinnamon Rolls
Being precise when baking is important for getting the best results. There are a few tips that will help you make the best cinnamon rolls.
- To get evenly sized rolls, begin by slicing the dough in the middle of the roll. Then, slice each half into halves and continue until you have the desired number of rolls.
- Avoid over-flouring the work surface. Incorporating too much flour will result in dry rolls.
- Make sure to pack the brown sugar. This will ensure that you have enough for a perfect, sweet flavor.
Make sure to let ingredients come to room temperature for the best results.
- Milk (warm)
- Raw honey
- Active dry yeast
- Butter (softened and divided)
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar (packed)
- Cream cheese (softened)
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Powdered beetroot for color (or your favorite pink food coloring)
- Pink sprinkles for decorating
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
There are only a few supplies you’ll need to whip up these delicious cinnamon rolls.
- Baking dish
- Large mixing bowl (2)
- Rolling pin
- Stand mixer with a dough hook attachment or electric mixer
How to Make Valentine’s Day Cinnamon Rolls
- Pour the warm milk, yeast, and honey into a large bowl.
- Allow the mixture to rest until it becomes foamy.
- Use the microwave to warm the butter in intervals until it is fully melted.
- Pour the melted butter into the yeast mixture.
- Add eggs.
- Pour the salt and sugar into the mixture.
- Using a whisk, gently combine the ingredients while slowly adding in the flour.
- Continue to whisk until all of the flour is combined. Be sure to scrape the side of the bowl and to ensure no dough remains unincorporated.
- Once the dough has formed, remove it from the bowl.
- Pour a small amount of oil into the bowl.
- Return the dough to the greased bowl.
- Allow the dough to rest in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- Spread a small amount of flour on your working surface before transferring the dough to it.
- Press the dough into a large rectangle.
- Then roll the it out to the desired thickness. You should have a long strip of dough.
- Use your hands to spread butter across the surface of the dough leaving a small margin of space around the edges.
- Then, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together.
- Spread the brown sugar mixture over the butter.
- Roll the cinnamon roll dough from each side until they come together in the middle.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into pieces of equal size.
- Using your fingers, pinch the bottom of each roll so that it is the shape of a heart.
- Place rolls in the prepared dish. Ensure that there are equal amounts of space between the rolls and that they are not crowded.
- Cover the dish and allow rolls to sit for an hour until they have doubled in size.
- Place the rolls in a preheated oven and bake for the recommended time.
- While the rolls are baking, prepare the frosting.
- First, mix the powdered sugar with butter and cream cheese.
- Then, add the vanilla and milk.
- Continue mixing until the frosting becomes silky smooth.
- Add the beetroot powder (or food coloring) until it is the shade you prefer.
- When the cinnamon rolls are golden brown, remove the baking pan from the oven.
- Immediately drizzle the frosting over the top of the rolls.
- Add Valentine sprinkles and serve.
What to Serve With Valentine Cinnamon Rolls
There are lots of ways to start the day with these sweet Valentine rolls.
- Coffee – A fresh cup of coffee is a perfect pairing with these rolls.
- Fresh fruit – Sliced strawberries or other fruit is a great side for this special treat.
- Hot chocolate – A warm cup of cocoa alongside these rolls is a delicious way to celebrate Valentine’s Day.
- Traditional breakfast – Make eggs or have a fruity yogurt to go with the rolls.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
These sweet rolls are a fun way to kick off Valentine’s Day.
- Adorable – With its fun heart shape and cheerful pink sprinkles this sweet treat is sure to make anyone feel special.
- Delicious – The sweetness of the buttery brown sugar filling mixes perfectly with the slight tang of the cream cheese frosting.
- Festive – These sweet morning treats are the perfect way to brighten everyone’s morning on Valentine’s Day.
Variations and Add-ins
These are a perfect sweet treat just as they are but you can make some changes or additions, too.
- Valentines Sprinkles – Instead of pink sprinkles, you can use red, or a mixture. You can also try using heart sprinkles.
- Decorator’s sugar – Sprinkle just a little bit of decorator’s sugar on top for a pretty sparkle.
- Chocolate – Gently fold milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate chips into the dough.
- Nuts – Sprinkle crushed nuts over top after baking.
If you love this Valentine Cinnamon Rolls recipe, you’re going to love these other cinnamon roll recipes too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Other Delicious Valentine’s Day Recipes
If you love this recipe for Valentine Cinnamon Rolls as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Heart Shaped Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup milk warm
- 4 tablespoons raw honey
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup butter softened and divided
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour plus some for dusting
- ¾ cup brown sugar – packed
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons powdered beetroot for color – or your favorite pink food coloring
Pink sprinkles for decorating
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking oil. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the warm milk, yeast, and honey. Let sit for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Melt 1/3 cup of the butter and add it to the yeast mixture along with the eggs.
- Add the salt and sugar and begin to whisk gently while gradually adding the flour.
- Whisk until fully incorporated and the dough forms into a sticky mound and no dough is left on the walls of the mixing bowl.
- Remove the dough and lightly drizzle some oil into the bowl. Return the dough to the oiled bowl, cover, and let sit in a warm space for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Lightly dust a flat surface and begin to press the dough into a rectangular shape. Then roll the dough out until it is 1/4” thick.
- Using your hands, spread ½ cup of the butter across the whole surface of the dough leaving about 1/4” around the edge of the whole rectangle.
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon and spread it over the butter.
- Roll the dough along both sides of the long edge tightly until they meet in the middle.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into 12 equal pieces.
- Pinch the bottom of the curled roll forming a heart shape.
- Place each roll into the prepared 13 x 9 dish, leaving some space between each roll.
- Let the rolls sit covered in a warm place for an hour until the rolls have doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°f.
- Cook the rolls at 350°f for 25 minutes.
- While the rolls are cooking, mix the confectioner’s sugar with 3 tablespoons of the butter, as well as the cream cheese.
- Add the vanilla and milk until the frosting forms.
- Mix in the beetroot powder until the desired color is achieved.
- Remove the rolls from the oven.
- Drizzle the warm rolls with the frosting.
- Top with the sprinkles and enjoy with your loved ones.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.