Whether it’s Taco Tuesday or we just feel like having a random taco night, I love having a batch of this homemade taco seasoning in my spice cupboard. It’s full of flavor and makes the best taco meat.
You can use this spice blend on anything from chicken breast to ground turkey or ground beef — or whatever proteins or vegetables you use in your favorite taco recipe. And it’s also a great way to add flavor to lots of other dishes.
The next time you want to whip up some tacos, skip the store-bought seasoning and try making your own homemade taco seasoning with this easy recipe.
Common Questions about Taco Seasoning
What is taco seasoning made of?
Taco seasoning is often a blend of ground spices like chili powder, paprika, and oregano with other dried spices like cumin, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Some recipes call for various other spices.
How much taco seasoning for 2 pounds of meat?
For 1 pound of ground meat use approximately 2 tablespoons of seasoning.
Can you replace taco seasoning with taco sauce?
While technically you can make this substitution, they’re better used together. The seasoning and sauce are both spicy, but the seasoning imparts savory, earthy flavors as well while the sauce adds tanginess.
Store your seasoning in an airtight container at room temperature for 10-12 months. Keep it in a dry place and away from direct sunlight.
Tips For The Best Taco Seasoning
With only a handful of simple ingredients and a few quick steps, this DIY taco seasoning doesn’t require a lot of tricks to make it terrific. But we do have a few tips.
- When preparing the meat to use with this seasoning, sprinkling some cornstarch can help it to stick.
- Use a chili powder that you know you like — chili powder flavors vary from country to country.
- Store in a spot that isn’t humid to avoid clumping.
- When you use this spice blend, about 3-4 tablespoons of taco seasoning are equal to one of the store-bought packets.
If you don’t already have these, you can easily find them in the spice aisle at your local grocery store.
- American chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Smoked paprika
- Cracked black pepper
- Table salt
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
Just two supplies are needed for this super easy chili seasoning recipe.
How to Make this Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3 to make this simple seasoning.
- Pour all spices into a small bowl.
- Whisk them all together until completely combined.
- Use immediately or store in a small mason jar or sealed container in your spice cabinet.
What to Use Taco Seasoning On
Taco seasoning is a great way to kick up the flavor in so many dishes besides tacos.
- Vegetables – Roasted and grilled vegetables are delicious when sprinkled with this seasoning.
- Meats – Use the seasoning as a rub on chicken, pork, or beef.
- Soup – Add the seasoning to soups like chicken noodle for some spiciness.
- Eggs – Sprinkle a little bit (or a lot!) on fried eggs, scrambled eggs, or omelets.
- Potatoes – French fries are made even better when tossed with this but it’s also good on baked potatoes and mashed potatoes.
- Sauce – Add flavor to any sauce that could use a little heat.
- Dip – Make a dip by adding the seasoning to sour cream, creme fraiche, or Greek yogurt.
- Other Mexican-inspired dishes – Burritos, enchiladas, and chicken tortilla soup or taco soup are all delicious with this seasoning.
Why You Should Make Taco Seasoning
Having this seasoning on hand means you can spice up any dish on the fly.
- Easy – With only 3 steps, and just a couple of kitchen supplies, both prep and cleanup do not take a lot of time at all. It’s a great recipe to start with for making your own spice blends.
- Accessible – If you don’t have the spices on hand you can easily find them at the store.
- Versatile – There are nearly endless ways that you can use this tasty taco seasoning. Make a big batch so you have plenty on hand.
- Customizable – Make this your signature seasoning by adjusting the ingredients the way you like.
Variations and Add-ins
There are all sorts of different ways you can make this seasoning your own.
- Garlic and onion – If you prefer more or less of these flavors, you can adjust as needed.
- Heat – Add crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for more spiciness or adjust the spicy ingredients in the recipe. You can also reduce those ingredients depending on your desired spice level.
- Sweetness – Spoon in a bit of granulated sugar for a sweet flavor. You can also use sweet paprika instead of regular paprika.
- Smokiness – Swap some or all of the paprika for smoked paprika to add a smoky flavor.
- Salt – If you prefer, use another type of salt that you like. We like sea salt as a substitute.
If you love this easy Taco Seasoning recipe, you’re going to love these other homemade sauces and seasonings too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Other Easy Seasonings and Sauces
Everything Bagel Seasoning (Like in this Everything Bagel Dip)
If you love this recipe for Homemade Taco Seasoning as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
- 1 tablespoon American chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or jar and mix well.
- Use immediately, or store in the pantry for 10-12 months.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.