This easy homemade chili seasoning is a DIY spice blend that you can use to whip up your favorite chili recipe. No more running out to grab those store-bought packets — you’ll have it ready whenever you need it!
You can use this in any chili recipe from beef chili to ground turkey chili and vegetarian chili to whichever kind you like to make to whip up a chili mac. It’s great in a variety of recipes that aren’t chili, too!
One of the best parts is that it doesn’t cost a lot of money to make your own homemade spice blend and a little bit goes a long way.
The next time you make a big batch of chili and want to add plenty of spicy flavors, try making your own chili seasoning with this easy recipe.
Common Questions about Chili Seasoning
What is chili seasoning made of?
Chili seasoning is a combination of several dried spices you likely already have handy in your pantry. Chili powder, cayenne, and cumin bring the most flavor to the seasoning but onion powder, salt, and black pepper round it out.
Some recipes also call for garlic powder, paprika, or oregano.
What can I use if I don’t have chili powder?
Since this recipe has a shelf life of up to a year, you’ll be able to have it on hand regularly. But if you do find that you’ve run out, you can mix paprika, cayenne, and cumin as a substitute.
When a recipe calls for chili powder what does it mean?
It’s important to pay close attention to the spelling. Chile powder is made from ground chiles while chili powder is a mix of several seasonings.
Store your seasoning in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 year.
Tips For The Best Chili Seasoning
While making this simple seasoning is a cinch, there are a couple of tips to make sure you make and store the perfect seasoning.
- Store the seasoning in a cool, dry place to avoid clumping. Also, ensure that the seasoning is away from direct sunlight.
- Mix together well to evenly disperse the spices.
- Shake well before using.
Combining these simple ingredients makes the most delicious chili seasoning.
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
Only needing a few supplies means cleanup is super simple.
How to Make this Homemade Chili Seasoning Recipe
In just 3 simple steps you’ll be ready to season chili (and a whole lot of other dishes).
- Add all of the spices to a small bowl.
- Whisk together well.
- Pour into a mason jar or other airtight container and store in your spice cabinet.
How to Use a Homemade Chili Seasoning Blend
Of course, you can use it when making chili but there are lots of other uses for this spicy seasoning.
- Soup – Shake chili seasoning into any soup that you want to spice up — the seasoning will add earthiness, too.
- Meats – Rub the seasoning onto chicken, pork, or beef.
- Eggs – Add it to omelets or sprinkle over fried or scrambled eggs.
- Vegetables – Toss vegetables with chili seasoning after roasting, steaming, or grilling.
- Potatoes – Sprinkle over french fries or roasted or baked potatoes — or mix it into mashed potatoes. It’s great on sweet potatoes, too.
- Sauce – Add this to any sauce or dip that you want to give a little kick.
Why You Should Make Chili Seasoning
There are tons of reasons to try chili seasoning. Here are just a few.
- Easy – It takes only a minute or two to mix up these spices and store them.
- Accessible – You can get these easily at your local grocery store or you may have them stocked already.
- Versatile – Use this seasoning in lots of different ways.
- Customizable – You can change up the ratios or even add spices.
Variations and Add-ins
Pair this seasoning with your palate preferences by swapping or adding ingredients.
- Heat – Increase the chili powder or the cayenne for added heat (or decrease for less, depending on your desired spice level). You can also use other powdered peppers or red pepper flakes for more heat or a different flavor profile.
- Paprika – Regular paprika can add a slight sweetness while you can add smokiness with smoked paprika.
- Cumin – For a more earthy flavor, increase the cumin.
- Cocoa powder – This is the best secret ingredient to use to add rich flavor to homemade chili recipes.
If you love this easy Chili Seasoning recipe, you’re going to love these other homemade kitchen staples too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Other Easy Seasonings and Sauces
Everything Bagel Seasoning (Like in this Everything Bagel Dip)
If you love this recipe for Homemade Chili Seasoning as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH TASTE OF THE FRONTIER!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small dish or jar and mix well.
- Use immediately or store in a sealed container for up to a year.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Share Your Thoughts