These chocolate covered Frozen Bananas top the favorites list for sure. All that nostalgic flavor just like you get at the fair or theme park. Simple, easy.
I don’t know about you, but when it comes to summer I start thinking nostalgia. We all crave the things I loved & looked forward to when I was a kid.
I guess it’s all those fond memories of fun, food & family. Because it’s funny how almost all my best memories from childhood somehow come back to food in some way. Like a song, special flavors have a way of bringing back memories that were once long forgotten.
Scroll to the bottom for the Printable Recipe
Which is probably why I love these simple Frozen Bananas. Going to the theme park with my family we always had to have one to cool down.
So, of course, I love making them now to enjoy while we chill in the back yard.
Here are some commonly asked questions
Can I use another type of chocolate?
Yes, absolutely, that will work just fine. You can melt milk, dark or white chocolate for these frozen bananas.
Can I use different toppings?
Yes, you can add any of your favorite toppings that you desire. Crushed candies, chopped nuts, dried fruit and so much more.
Do I have to freeze the bananas first?
Yes, you definitely want to do freeze them first. This not only solidifies the stick in the banana & keeps it from breaking off or falling out.
But when you dip the cold banana in the warm, melted chocolate it solidifies the chocolate almost immediately. This makes it easy to get that beautiful coating and when you add the toppings immediately, it all firms up together.
Trying to do this with room-temperature bananas would make all the chocolate and toppings slide right off.
How many can this serve?
This recipe makes about 12 frozen bananas. So you have enough for 12 people. The best part is that since they are frozen you can make them ahead of time & keep them all summer long.
recipe for frozen chocolate bananas
Can this recipe be doubled?
You can, and we do it often. Super easy & perfect for when you are hosting a backyard pool party or summer holiday gathering.
To make frozen bananas, you will need…
- firm bananas
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- sprinkles mini-marshmallows, nuts or whatever you wish to sprinkle with
- popsicle sticks
How to store frozen bananas?
These are best when stored in an airtight container in the freezer. Just remove it about 5-10 minutes before serving to make it a bit easier to bite them.
If you live in an unusually hot climate, I recommend not letting it sit out before serving.
HOW DO YOU MAKE frozen bananas?
- Peel bananas & cut in half.
- Carefully insert a popsicle stick in the cut end of the banana.
- Place on a small baking sheet & freeze several hours.
- Once bananas are frozen firm it’s time to coat with chocolate.
- Place chocolate chips & shortening in a small bowl – microwave in 30-second intervals- stirring in between until melted & smooth.
- Holding banana over the bowl of melted chocolate, spoon the chocolate over the banana until coated.
- Immediately move the banana back over the baking sheet & sprinkle with any of your additional toppings before the chocolate hardens.
- *this will happen quickly because the bananas are frozen.
- Place back on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining bananas.
- Once coated place back in the freezer until ready to enjoy.
frozen banana dessert
Products I love when making frozen bananas…
This frozen bananas recipe is SUPER EASY and delicious – and if you’re like me this time of year, then you maybe already have some of these items on hand OR maybe you have never made chocolate covered bananas before, & you might be a bit nervous – but you’re going to love it. I have made a list below of the things I absolutely can’t live without when it comes to making this treat recipe.
- Wood Craft Sticks, Jumbo
- Popsicle Sticks
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- parchment paper
- Assorted Colors -Jimmies Sprinkles Dessert Decorating
- mini chocolate chips
- mini m&ms
- Marshmallow bits
If you love this Easy Frozen Bananas recipe, you’re going to love these other treats too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
chocolate dipped frozen bananas
If you love this recipe for Frozen Bananas as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH KLEINWORTH & CO!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 6 firm bananas
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1½ tbsp shortening
- sprinkles, mini-marshmallows, nuts or whatever you wish to top with.
- 6 popsicle sticks
- Peel the bananas & cut in half.
- Carefully insert popsicle stick in the cut end of the banana.
- Place on small baking sheet & freeze several hours.
- Once bananas are frozen firm it's time to coat with chocolate.
- Place chocolate chips & shortening in small bowl - microwave in 30 second intervals- stirring in between until melted & smooth.
- Holding the banana over the bowl of melted chocolate, spoon the chocolate over the banana until coated.
- Immediately move the banana back over the baking sheet & sprinkle with any of your additional toppings before the chocolate hardens. *this will happen quickly because the bananas are frozen.
- Place it back on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining bananas.
- Once coated, place them back in freezer until ready to enjoy.