If you love buttery, garlic breadsticks, then you will swoon for this Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks recipe. Simple to make & tastes just like your favorite Italian restaurant.
If there is one thing I really love, it’s bread. It is the one thing that can get me up & in the kitchen when the craving strikes. I’m known for making 4-5 different bread recipes all in one day – because they all look so good when I’m thumbing through grandma’s old cookbook. I always want to make them all.
So when I found her traditional breadstick recipe she noted some particular characteristics that made them sound just like Olive Garden’s famous sticks. I decided to make them & add a couple of my own twists to give it the restaurant flare. They turned out even better than I had hoped & tastes just like the real thing.
This post contains some affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
There is one thing we eat a ton of when we dine out- BREAD. When we hit Anthony’s it’s all about the sourdough loaf. We have them bring us probably 3-4 loaves while we are there & always order a couple more to take home.
So when we go out for Italian it’s the same. They only put like 7-8 sticks in the basket, so when there are 5 of us all wanting one – you can see how quickly a basket can empty. So, of course, we ask for them to refill it multiple times while we dine. Which means it should come as no surprise that when I can make them at home & we don’t have to ask for more & fear being judged by the waitress – we are all in! 🙂
Between grandmas’ recipe, the butter & garlic seasoning – these really taste just like what we are used to. I loved every single bite. I may or may not have polished off a decent number all by myself.
Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks
Stay tuned – I’m working on a way to make these in just 1 hour. 😉
Scroll to the bottom for the Printable Recipe
Looking for more of our favorite recipes?
Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks
- 1 3/4 cup warm water 115˚F is perfect
- 2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast or 1-1/4oz packet
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 Tbsp butter room temperature & cut into pieces
- 4 1/2 - 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast & sugar with warm water and then wait until yeast proofs (about 5 minutes).
- Add salt, butter & 2 cups flour. Mix on low with the paddle attachment to combine.
- On low, slowly add the remaining flour until the dough is smooth.
- Switch to the dough hook & knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- Place dough into a large, greased bowl.
- Cover & set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Punch dough down & place on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough into one big log.
- Divide that log into the number of breadsticks you want. (This will make approx 24 breadsticks)
- Roll out each piece into a long, thin stick. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet about 1-inch apart.
- Cover the breadsticks with a towel (or lightly greased plastic wrap), & let rise until double in size; approx 30 to 60 minutes.
- Lightly spray the tops of the breadsticks with cooking spray before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Melt the remaining butter in the microwave.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt & granulated garlic - mix.
- Remove breadsticks from oven & immediately brush the tops & sprinkle with salt/garlic mixture.
- Enjoy warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container.