Chinese Pineapple Chicken that is better than any takeout you’ll find. Perfectly crispy chicken coated in a sweet & tangy pineapple sauce that is phenomenal! Dig in!
I don’t know about you, but I can’t seem to get enough Chinese food. Growing up in So Cal we not only had Chinese food restaurants on pratically every corner, but they delivered. Every single one was over the top amazing. One of my all-time favorites to order is Chinese Pineapple Chicken.
Easy Pineapple Chicken
This post contains some affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Being up here in North Idaho, we have far fewer options when it comes to great Chinese take-out. Plus the ones we do have are either SUPER expensive or just don’t compare when it comes to flavor. So we have spent the last few years working on perfecting our own versions of our favorites instead. Mine being this Chinese Pineapple Chicken.
I know that Orange Chicken is far more popular & common, but a few of us in this house are allergic to citrus. So it’s a no-go when it comes to orange or lemon anything. It’s a big fat bummer because it IS so good. But we have learned to find alternatives that are just as good – like pineapple chicken. It is every bit as good as the restaurant & I can enjoy it in my jammies. I often have all the ingredients on hand whenever I’m craving it & it’s super easy to make too.
Chinese Pineapple Chicken
I love this recipe because it gives that perfect crispy outside for the chicken bites & then that sauce……mmmmmm it is SO GOOD!
Look at that glaze – this really is better than anything I have ever ordered while dining out or picking up take-out! Delish!
Scroll to the bottom for the Printable Recipe
Looking for more great Asian inspired dishes?
Chinese Pineapple Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into small chunks
- 1 tsp peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup cornstarch for coating
- 1 1/2 cups peanut oil for frying
- 1 large can crushed pineapple + juice 28 oz
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes opt
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp water
- Combine sauce ingredients in a medium bowl, whisk - set aside
- Toss chicken chunks with oil in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place cornstarch in a zip-top bag & set aside.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees in a wok or large skillet.
- Add the chicken to the bag with the cornstarch, close & shake to coat.
Carefully drop several pieces of chicken into the hot oil (work in batches to not overcrowd the chicken)
- Fry until golden. Scoop out the chicken & drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Continue frying & draining the remaining chicken.
- Carefully transfer the oil into a Pyrex measuring cup.
Add the garlic & pineapple sauce & bring to a simmer.
Cook mixture, stirring constantly until it starts to thicken.
Add the chicken, toss to combine.
Serve with fried or steamed rice.
*I tossed all of the chicken in a ziptop bag because I find it much easier than trying to coat it in a bowl. Just combine, close & shake.
** Recipe adapted from Cooking with Curls- Chinese Orange Chicken