When I’m looking for a healthy, light lunch, this avocado chicken salad hits the spot. With red onion, jalapenos, and lime juice, all combined with the shredded chicken and creamy mayonnaise, this healthy chicken salad has so much flavor.
The best part about this salad is that it’s so easy to make. Using rotisserie chicken makes it a cinch to stir this salad together in nearly no time.
The next time you’re looking for an easy lunch idea, or you don’t want to heat the oven up for dinner on a hot summer day, try this simple avocado chicken salad recipe.
Common Questions about Avocado Chicken Salad
What is avocado chicken salad?
This salad is a simple salad made with shredded chicken, avocado, and several other simple ingredients like red onion, cilantro, and lime juice. It is typically served as a sandwich, wrap, or on a bed of lettuce.
How do you make avocado chicken salad?
To make the salad, just mix the chicken with the other ingredients and season it to taste.
Can you make avocado chicken salad in advance?
Yes, this salad can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. However, it might be ideal to wait to add the avocado until just before serving so that it retains its color.
You can easily store this salad in the fridge for a few days.
Refrigerator – Store the salad in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freezer – We do not recommend storing salads with mayonnaise in the freezer.
Tips for the Best Avocado Chicken Salad
- It’s best to serve this simple salad immediately to avoid the avocado becoming discolored. Alternatively, you can wait to add the avocado until serving.
- For those that don’t like cilantro, replace it with fresh parsley, dill, or Thai basil.
Just grab some simple ingredients from the grocery store to quickly make this delicious recipe.
- Rotisserie chicken (cooked, deboned, and coarsely chopped)
- Ripe avocado (pitted and cubed)
- Red onion (diced)
- Fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Jalapenos (finely diced and seeds removed)
- Lime juice
- Garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
You’ll be hard-pressed to find a recipe that requires fewer kitchen supplies than this one!
How to Make Avocado Chicken Salad
This healthy avocado chicken salad couldn’t be easier to make!
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl.
- Stir together until completely combined.
- Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
What to Serve With Chicken Avocado Salad
You can certainly eat this all on its own for a quick meal but you can also serve it with accompaniments, too.
- Crackers – Spread the salad on sturdy crackers or pita chips.
- Sandwich – Make chicken salad sandwiches on your favorite sandwich bread.
- Chips – Dip into this salad with hearty potato chips or tortilla chips.
- Greens – Place a scoop of the salad on a bed of lettuce or mixed greens. Or, use hearty lettuce leaves to make a lettuce wrap.
Why You Should Make Chicken Salad with Avocado
Fans of traditional chicken salad are going to love this upgraded version.
- Healthy – With protein-packed chicken, and avocado that’s full of healthy fats, this salad is a great way to get your nutrients in. Plus, if you’re on a low carb or keto diet, this salad is a perfect lunch or dinner.
- Easy – By using rotisserie chicken, the prep time is short and the cleanup is easy.
- Versatile – This salad makes a great lunch, or easy dinner on busy weeknights, but it’s also perfect for serving at parties, baby showers, and brunch.
Variations and Add-ins
There are tons of ways to creatively customize this salad.
- Vegetables – Try adding diced tomatoes, cucumber, or bell peppers.
- Herbs – Use basil or parsley in addition to, or in place of, the cilantro.
- Spices – Add more heat with a few dashes of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Chicken – Use grilled chicken breast instead.
- Onions – Try swapping out the red onions for some green onions.
- Citrus – Use lemon juice instead of lime.
- Oil – Toss the salad with olive oil instead of mayonnaise.
- Sauce – Add some Buffalo sauce for a spicy Buffalo chicken salad.
- Bacon – Mix in crispy bacon pieces for added flavor.
- Mayo substitutes – For a little tangy flavor, substitute sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for some or all of the mayo.
- Corn – Stir in some corn for added flavor, color, and nutrients.
If you love this easy avocado chicken salad recipe, you’re going to love these other side dishes too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Other Savory Salads
Greek Feta Chicken Pasta Salad
If you love this recipe for Avocado Chicken Salad as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH TASTE OF THE FRONTIER!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Avocado Chicken Salad
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken cooked, deboned, and coarsely chopped
- 2 avocados pitted and cubed
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped fresh
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno finely diced, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine the chicken, avocados, mayo, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stir all of the ingredients together until completely blended.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Best served immediately to avoid discoloration of the avocado.
- Serve on crackers, celery sticks, croissants, or your favorite bread.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Share Your Thoughts