These air fryer tater tots are a great side dish for nearly any main — and they make for a perfect party snack, too. Seasoned with parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning, they’re a flavorful addition to any plate and perfect for dipping into your favorite sauces.
The great thing about this air fryer tater to recipe is that it’s so incredibly quick and easy. Prep only takes a few minutes, and they cook in 15 minutes or less.
The next time you’re looking for easy recipes for a great side dish, give these tasty tots a try.
Common Questions about Air Fryer Tater Tots
How long do you air fry tater tots in the air fryer?
This tater tot recipe calls for 12-15 minutes of cook time in the air fryer.
What is the secret to crispy tater tots?
For crispier tots, cook them for a few extra minutes beyond the recommended cooking time.
Are tater tots better in the air fryer or oven?
Air frying does the best job when you’re making tots. Because the air can reach all sides of them, they cook more evenly, and you can avoid having soggy tater tots.
You can easily store these homemade air fryer tater tots in the fridge or freezer.
Refrigerator: Store cooked tater tots in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Place the tots in a freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Tips For The Most Delicious Air Fryer Tater Tots
You don’t need too many tricks to get the best results with this easy recipe.
- For more garlicky flavor, add a teaspoon of garlic powder.
- You can reduce the parmesan by up to half, but you may need to increase the salt slightly if you do.
- If you choose to store the tots in the freezer, you may want to flash-freeze them on a baking sheet first to avoid having them stick together.
- Be sure to spray the tots with cooking spray so that they don’t stick to the basket. We like olive oil cooking spray but you can use vegetable oil or avocado oil sprays — or whichever kind you prefer.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket and keep the tots in a single, even layer. If you have a small air fryer, try making the tots in batches — you’ll want to ensure that the hot air can reach all sides of the tots for the crispiest results.
Ingredients For Air Fryer Tots
These simple ingredients come together quickly to make the most delicious, crispy air fryer tater tots.
- Hash browns (frozen and shredded)
- Olive oil
- All-purpose flour
- Garlic (finely chopped)
- Italian seasoning (dried)
- Kosher salt
- Parmesan cheese (grated)
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
You only need a few basic kitchen tools to make these crunchy tots.
- Food Processor
- Air Fryer
- Large mixing bowl
How to Make Homemade Tater Tots in Air Fryer
Once you make these in an air fryer, you’ll never go back to turning on the oven to bake them.
- Place the shredded hashbrowns in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until they are in fine pieces, taking care not to mash them.
- Add the potatoes, olive oil, flour, garlic, and Italian seasoning to a large bowl and fold together gently with a rubber spatula.
- Scoop the potato mixture into even portions and shape with your hands.
- Place tots into the basket of the preheated air fryer in a single layer.
- Before baking, spray the tater tots with cooking spray.
- Bake for the recommended time or until golden brown, giving the basket a good shake about halfway through the cooking time.
- Transfer the cooked tater tots to a serving dish and immediately sprinkle with parmesan cheese and salt.
What to Serve With Air Fried Tater Tots
There are lots of tasty pairings for tots.
- Dipping sauces – Try using ketchup, marinara, honey mustard, barbecue sauce, or your own favorite dipping sauce.
- Appetizers – If you’re hosting a party, these tots can be part of a spread of a wide variety of other snacks. Try serving them alongside wings, nachos, or french fries.
- Sandwiches – Tots can be a great side for sandwiches and burgers as well as hot dogs.
- Toppings – Turn your crispy potato puffs into the base for tater tot nachos by spooning chili, queso, sour cream, and your other favorite toppings over top. If you opt for this, try substituting taco seasoning for the Italian seasoning.
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Tater Tots Recipe
If you’re a tater tot fan, you’re going to fall in love with air frying them.
- Crispy – These tots turn out perfectly crispy on all sides when air fried.
- Flavorful – With zesty Italian seasoning and nutty parmesan cheese, these tater tots are exploding with flavor.
- Versatile – You can serve these as a quick side on a busy weeknight or at casual gatherings.
- Customizable – Add your own favorite seasoning to change up the flavor profile.
Variations and Add-ins
With a few tweaks, you can totally transform traditional tater tots.
- Frozen – Make air fryer tater tots with frozen tater tots or tater rounds from the grocery store.
- Heat – Spice up your tots with some cayenne pepper or serve them alongside a ramekin of hot sauce.
- Cheese – Choose another cheese besides parmesan for a different texture and presentation.
- Onion – If you like oniony flavor, try adding onion powder to the potato mixture.
If you love this easy Air Fryer Tater Tots recipe, you’re going to love these other air-fried snacks too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
If you love this recipe for Homemade Air Fryer Tater Tots as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Air Fryer Tater Tots
- 16 ounces hash browns frozen – shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning dried
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- In a food processor, pulse the shredded hash browns until they are finely chopped but not mashed.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the potatoes, olive oil, flour, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Mix together gently— without compacting the potatoes too much.
- Using a small spoon or tablespoon, scoop out enough of the mixture to shape a 1” tot in your hand. Make sure to compact the tot well so it doesn’t fall apart.
- Place the tots in the air fryer, making sure they aren’t crowded.
- Spray the tots with an olive oil cooking spray and bake at 375F for 15-18 minutes or until they are golden brown. Make sure to shake the air fryer basket half way through cooking so the tots cook evenly.
- Remove from the fryer, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and salt while they are still warm.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can also add half of the parmesan cheese into the tots itself if you’d prefer.
- Air Fryer
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.