This Rotel chicken spaghetti recipe combines tender chicken, subtly spicy tomatoes, and pasta with a decadent, creamy sauce that’s so full of cheesy goodness you may not be able to resist going back for seconds (or more). Also called Texas chicken spaghetti, this hearty casserole is the ultimate comfort food.
The ingredients in this recipe are so easy to source at any local grocery store and since most are already prepared (like Rotel diced tomatoes and canned soup), it’s a cinch to pull this recipe together in no time.
The next time you have leftover chicken, or you just have a hankering for a satisfying meal full of cheese and pasta, try out this simple spaghetti and chicken casserole.
Common Questions about Rotel Chicken Spaghetti
What is Rotel chicken spaghetti?
Rotel chicken spaghetti is a blend of noodles, tomatoes with chiles, cheese, and a few other ingredients. It’s a popular comfort food in some parts of the United States.
What are the ingredients for Rotel chicken spaghetti?
The ingredients for Rotel chicken spaghetti may vary, but it often includes spaghetti noodles, cooked chicken, Rotel tomatoes, sour cream, onion and garlic, and a variety of cheeses. This recipe also includes canned cream soups and bell peppers.
What is the best way to serve Rotel chicken spaghetti?
While we prefer to serve it hot, this dish can be eaten cold. It works well as a main dish, but it can be a hearty side dish, too.
Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can also wrap the cooled baking dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil before refrigerating.
Freezer: To freeze Rotel chicken spaghetti, let it cool to room temperature before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. Store it in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
Tips For The Best Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
- While this casserole can be made using chicken breasts or a whole chicken, the easiest way is to use a rotisserie chicken.
- To make the recipe even easier, buy the onion and green bell peppers already diced from your grocery store in the produce section.
- You can also cut the prep time by using jarred garlic that’s already been minced.
With so many simple ingredients, it’s easy to make this simple casserole.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and pulled or chopped, or rotisserie chicken
- Uncooked spaghetti
- Small onion, diced
- Small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Canned cream of chicken soup
- Canned cream of mushroom soup
- Velveeta cheese, cubed
- Canned diced tomatoes with green chiles (Ro-Tel)
- Shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need To Make Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Large mixing bowl
- Casserole dish
- Large stockpot (optional – for whole chicken)
How to Make Texas Chicken Spaghetti
This cheesy chicken dish comes together so quickly — it’s the perfect easy when you want a simple recipe for some comfort food.
- Cook spaghetti to al dente, drain in a colander, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the chicken to the pasta.
- Melt butter in a preheated large skillet.
- Saute the onions and peppers until soft.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook briefly.
- Pour the soup, Velveeta cheese, and diced tomatoes into the skillet and stir until the Velveeta melts.
- Add the cheddar cheese and continue to stir.
- Pour in water, adding more if necessary.
- Transfer the sauce to the spaghetti and chicken mixture and stir.
- Pour the spaghetti mixture into the prepared dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the casserole and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake until the cheese melts.
To prepare with a whole chicken
*Use a whole raw chicken instead of cooked chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken
- Season a whole raw chicken with salt and pepper and place into a large pot.
- Fill the pot with water so that the chicken is entirely submerged.
- Boil for the recommended time or until the chicken reaches the desired internal temperature on a meat thermometer.
- Remove the recommended amount of water and reserve.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool.
- Once cooled, remove the chicken from the bone and slice it into bite-sized pieces.
- Follow the remainder of the recipe, using the diced chicken.
What to Serve With Rotel Chicken Spaghetti
There are plenty of pairings to serve alongside this spaghetti.
- Garlic Bread: Garlic bread is a classic with any pasta dish.
- Salad: For a light side, try serving a simple green salad.
- Roasted or grilled vegetables: Asparagus, zucchini, and green beans are all healthy options.
Why You Should Make This Easy Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
If you are a pasta lover and a fan of cheese, you’ll want to make this recipe as soon as you can.
- Easy: Using chicken that’s already been cooked cuts prep time dramatically and cooking casseroles means few dishes need to be washed after dinner.
- Feeds a crowd: There’s plenty of this filling casserole to go around at casual gatherings or for big families.
- Convenient: All of the ingredients are easy to find at the grocery store.
Variations and Add-ins
- Vegetables: Add mushrooms, red bell peppers, or your favorite vegetables.
- Cheese: Instead of sharp cheddar cheese, try using Monterey Jack cheese or Colby cheese.
- Seasonings: Switch up the seasonings and use others like Italian seasoning or taco seasoning.
- Topping: Sprinkle toasted bread crumbs or crushed pork rinds over top.
- Powders: Swap out some or all of the garlic cloves and onions for garlic powder and onion powder.
- Cream cheese: Try trading out some of the Velveeta for cream cheese.
- Onions: Try adding green onions to the dish, or garnishing with them.
- Heat: Add a spicy kick by incorporating diced jalapeno peppers, cayenne pepper, or crushed red pepper flakes.
If you love this easy Rotel Chicken Spaghetti recipe, you’re going to love these other tasty dinners too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Other Pasta Dishes
Rosa Sauce Chicken Penne Pasta
Spinach and Sausage One Pan Alfredo
If you love this recipe for Rotel Chicken Spaghetti as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH TASTE OF THE FRONTIER!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Rotel Chicken Spaghetti
- 3 chicken breasts – boneless, skinless, cooked and pulled or chopped OR 4 cups rotisserie chicken
- 16 ounces spaghetti uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion diced small
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced small
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10.75 ounces cream of chicken soup 1 can
- 10.75 ounces cream of mushroom soup 1 can
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese cubed
- 20 ounces diced tomatoes with green chiles 2 cans of Ro-Tel
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded – divided
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions until tender. Drain the spaghetti.
- Place the spaghetti into a large bowl.
- Add the cooked/rotisserie chicken.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onions and bell peppers to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until tender.
- Stir in the garlic.
- Add the 2 varieties of soup, Velveeta cheese, and the diced tomatoes, stirring as needed until the cheese melts.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese until melted.
- Add 1 cup of water and stir to blend. If the sauce is too thick, add additional water until the desired consistency is reached. (The sauce should be thick enough to coat a spoon.)
- Pour the sauce into the bowl with the spaghetti and chicken.
- Toss to combine the ingredients.
- Transfer the spaghetti into the prepared casserole dish.
- Top the mixture with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the cheese on top has melted.
- 1 whole raw chicken
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Water, for boiling the chicken
- Place the chicken into a large stockpot and season with salt and black pepper.
- Fill the pot with water, covering the chicken.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue boiling for 30 to 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and falls off the bone.
- Remove 2 cups of the cooking water and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the stockpot and cool it enough to touch the chicken.
- Pull the chicken from the bone and cut it into bite-size pieces.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Share Your Thoughts