This easy tater tot casserole is a Midwestern classic comfort food that combines seasoned ground beef and creamy sauce all topped with crunchy tater tots and plenty of cheese. What could be better on a chilly night?
This easy tater tot casserole recipe is so simple that you can toss it together in a matter of minutes before baking, and have dinner on the table quickly. The whole family will love it — and pair it with some greens on the side and it’s a complete meal!
When you’re looking for a hearty meal to dig into after a long day, try this delicious casserole.
Common Questions about Tater Tot Casserole
What is tater tot casserole made of?
Tater tot casserole has a creamy, beefy base of seasoned ground beef and creamed soup. It’s topped off with tater tots and cheese.
What state is known for tater tot casserole?
It’s a Midwestern favorite, but Minnesota is best known for the Tater Tot Hotdish, similar to this recipe.
What goes well with tater tot casserole?
Since the casserole itself is fairly heavy, any light dish will work well as a side. Veggies, salads, and fruit salads work well.
Store leftovers in the fridge for several days to reheat this meal throughout the week.
Refrigerator: Keep this casserole in the refrigerator covered in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, or sealed in an airtight container, for 3-4 days.
Freezing: The textures of some of the components of the dish may not fare well through freezing and thawing, but if you choose to freeze this dish, use a freezer-safe container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
This casserole is easy to execute but there are a few ways you can get the best results.
- Use lean ground beef to avoid draining excess fat.
- Powdered garlic and onion help to make the recipe easier but you can use very finely minced versions as well.
- Do not prepare the soup according to package directions — use as is.
Ingredients for the Best Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Easy and simple ingredients make this dish a cinch to put together.
- Lean ground beef
- Onion (finely diced)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Can of cream of mushroom soup
- Sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Milk (2% or whole)
- Corn (thawed; or mixed vegetables)
- Frozen tater tots
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
You only need a couple of tools to make this easy recipe.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
This casserole comes together so quickly.
- Brown the ground beef in a preheated medium skillet.
- Add onions and cook until soft.
- Pour in the seasonings, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook briefly.
- Add the soup, a portion of the cheese, and milk to a large bowl and whisk together until combined.
- Stir the ground beef mixture into the soup mixture until combined.
- Scoop the soup and meat mixture into the prepared baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top the layer of ground beef with tater tots (in a single layer).
- Pour the remaining shredded cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Bake until the casserole bubbles and the tater tots are a light golden brown color.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest briefly before serving.
What to Serve With Tater Tot Casserole
This casserole is a complete meal on its own, but there are other delectable dishes to serve with it, too.
- Salad – Serve the casserole as a main with a simple salad on the side.
- Soup – A warm soup is a comforting addition to this cozy casserole.
- Vegetables – Add some roasted vegetables on the side to round out this meal.
Why You Should Make This Easy Casserole Recipe
Any tater tot lover will be excited to scarf up this cheesy, beefy, and hearty casserole.
- Easy – Just brown the beef, season, add to the soup, and then add everything to a casserole dish to bake — it couldn’t be easier!
- Delicious – With a beefy base and a crunchy tater tot topping this casserole is full of texture and flavor.
- Convenient – You can make this any night and have it ready to reheat on busy weeknights.
Variations and Add-ins
This is a standard recipe that leaves lots of leeway to make your own swaps and switches to make it your own.
- Heat – Add some fire to your dish with the addition of hot sauce, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, or chili powder.
- Cheese – Use any kind of cheese you prefer from Monterey Jack to mozzarella or even a smoky gouda. If you’re a big fan of cheese, add extra.
- Smokiness – Add smoky flavor with a little bit of liquid smoke or smoked paprika.
- Extra flavor – Try adding Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, gochujang, or even hot sauce for a different flavor profile.
- Meat – Use different ground meats instead of beef. Ground turkey, ground pork, or even sausage will work well.
- Garnish – Add some green onions on top, or your choice of garnish.
- Soup – Substitute another cream soup, like cream of chicken soup, for the mushroom variety.
If you love this easy Tater Tot Casserole recipe, you’re going to love these other dinner ideas too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Other Easy Casseroles
If you love this recipe for Tater Tot Casserole as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion about 1 cup finely diced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup 1 can
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- ⅓ cup milk 2% or whole
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed – or mixed vegetables
- 20 oz frozen tater tots 1 bag
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef for about 10 minutes.
- Add the onions and continue cooking until the onions are soft and beef is completely cooked, drain if necessary.
- Sprinkle the cooked beef with the seasonings, salt and pepper and cook for 1 more minute.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soup, 1 ½ cups of the cheese and the milk.
- Stir in the beef mixture and the vegetables.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Top with a single layer of the tater tots.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly and the tater tots are golden brown.
- Allow the casserole to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.