The kids are getting out of school, the temps are high & the state & local fairs are happening. That means it’s time for all your favorite summer foods. Things like these chocolate covered Frozen Bananas top the favorites list for sure.
I don’t know about you, but when it comes to summer I start thinking nostalgia. I crave the things I loved & looked forward to when I was a kid. I guess it’s all those fond memories of fun, food & family. Because it’s funny how almost all my best memories from childhood somehow come back to food in some way. Like a song, special flavors have a way of bringing back memories that were once long forgotten.
Which is probably why I love these simple Frozen Bananas. Going to the theme park with my family we always had to have one to cool down. So of course I love making them now to enjoy while we chill in the back yard.
- 6 firm bananas
- 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 tbsp shortening
- sprinkles mini-marshmallows, nuts or whatever you wish to sprinkle with
- 6 popsicle sticks
- Peel bananas & cut in half
- Carefully insert popsicle stick in the cut end of the banana
- Place on small baking sheet & freeze several hours
- Once bananas are frozen firm it's time to coat with chocolate
- Place chocolate chips & shortening in small bowl - microwave in 30 second intervals- stirring in between until melted & smooth
- Holding banana over the bowl of melted chocolate, spoon the chocolate over the banana until coated
- Immediately move the banana back over the baking sheet & sprinkle with any of your additional toppings before the chocolate hardens. *this will happen quickly because the bananas are frozen
- Place back on baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining bananas
- Once coated place back in freezer until ready to enjoy
Looking for more nostalgic favorites?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE