I like to change things up a bit when it comes to dinner ideas. What you would normally have for dinner can get dull & I always like to surprise the kids with something different. So I decided to take your regular mashed potatoes & turn them into a kid-friendly dish we can make together during the week. These Deep Fried Mashed Potatoes are fun & simple. They make a great appetizer for game day or just a different take on the usual side dish. It’s easier than you think & I promise- your kids will love them.
My kids loved that they were different than your typical mashed potatoes & gravy. These made potatoes something to look forward to. Adding them to the skewer & turning them into a sort of “mashed potatoes on a stick” was something they really enjoyed.
Just roll, egg, panko & eggs – then fry. Yep – that simple.
Deep Fried Mashed Potatoes
- 1 pkg Simply Potatoes - mashed potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups panko - or bread crumbs
- peanut oil for frying
- Take a tablespoon full of mashed potatoes & roll it into a ball.
- Dip & roll in egg wash
- then dip & roll in panko & back in egg wash once more
- Place on baking sheet & repeat until all the mashed potatoes are used
- Refrigerate the prepared potatoes for a minimum of 30 minutes
- Once potatoes have chilled in refrigerator - prepare your oil approx 1/2 inch deep in a large heavy pan.
- Preheat oil to about 350 degrees
- Place chilled potatoes in hot oil & cook until deep golden brown
- Remove & drain on wire rack
- Sprinkle with a little salt
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Want easy kid-friendly week night recipes?