I like to change things up a bit when it comes to dinner ideas. What you would normally have for dinner can get dull & I always like to surprise the kids with something different. So I decided to take your regular mashed potatoes & turn them into a kid-friendly dish we can make together during the week. These Deep Fried Mashed Potatoes are fun & simple. They make a great appetizer for game day or just a different take on the usual side dish. It’s easier than you think & I promise- your kids will love them.
My kids loved that they were different than your typical mashed potatoes & gravy. These made potatoes something to look forward to. Adding them to the skewer & turning them into a sort of “mashed potatoes on a stick” was something they really enjoyed.
Just roll, egg, panko & eggs – then fry. Yep – that simple.
Deep Fried Mashed Potatoes
- 1 pkg Simply Potatoes - mashed potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups panko - or bread crumbs
- peanut oil for frying
- Take a tablespoon full of mashed potatoes & roll it into a ball.
- Dip & roll in egg wash
- then dip & roll in panko & back in egg wash once more
- Place on baking sheet & repeat until all the mashed potatoes are used
- Refrigerate the prepared potatoes for a minimum of 30 minutes
- Once potatoes have chilled in refrigerator - prepare your oil approx 1/2 inch deep in a large heavy pan.
- Preheat oil to about 350 degrees
- Place chilled potatoes in hot oil & cook until deep golden brown
- Remove & drain on wire rack
- Sprinkle with a little salt
Want easy kid-friendly week night recipes?