Moist chocolate cake, smothered in cream of coconut & topped with whipped cream & toasted coconut. Chocolate Coconut Poke Cake is a delicious and easy dessert.
There are a handful of things that I will never turn down. Cake and coconut. So when I put the two together to create this Chocolate Coconut Poke Cake, I have to say, it was hard to share.
Honestly, I would be hard pressed to find a cake I didn’t love. But when you soak it in cream of coconut, that is a game changer for me. It is positively delicious & the perfect dessert for coconut lovers.
Chocolate Poke Cake Recipe
This post contains some affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
While this recipe is almost effortless when it comes to dessert, I do really love that it is simple enough for my girls to make on their own.
Granted they are 17 & 15 & do know their way around the kitchen.
Just bake the recipe according to the directions on the box. But before you bake – add a little coconut extract to the mix. It just adds a bit more depth to the coconut flavor.
Here are some commonly asked questions
What kind of cake should I use?
I have devil’s food cake listed in the ingredients here. But you can use chocolate, milk chocolate or even vanilla if you like. But I love the depth in a devil’s food cake, especially when pairing it with the light & refreshing flavor of coconut.
How to I toast coconut?
It is really simple & takes just a couple minutes. Visit my post here for How to Toast Coconut.
What is cream of coconut?
There are many different products on the market that call themselves cream of coconut. This is not to be confused with coconut cream which isn’t sweet at all.
You don’t want that for this recipe.
For this recipe, you will want to use the stuff that you find with the cocktail making ingredients.
This is a sweet, thick & creamy product often sold in a can or squeeze bottle. (find a link below in the ingredient list)
HOW DO YOU MAKE Chocolate Coconut Poke Cake
- Prepare cake batter to package directions
- Add coconut extract
- Poke holes in the cake
- Add cream of coconut
- Frost with whip topping
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut
Chocolate Coconut Poke Cake
To make this recipe you will need…
- devil’s food cake mix + ingredients it calls for.
- sweetened coconut
- cream of coconut
- Coconut Extract
- whip topping
- toasted coconut
This is the easiest & most delicious cake ever!
Scroll to the bottom for the Printable Recipe
BEST CHOCOLATE POKE CAKES
Looking for more great dessert favorites?
Chocolate Coconut Poke Cake
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix + ingredients it calls for eggs, oil, water
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 8 ounce tub whip topping thawed
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- Prepare cake batter to package directions & stir in 1/2 cup sweetened coconut & coconut extract.
- Bake in 9×13 pan to package directions.
- Remove from oven & immediately use a thin wooden dowel or chopstick to poke holes in the cake (about 2″ apart)
- Drizzle cream of coconut over the top of the cake & place in refrigerator to chill
- Once the cake is cold top with whip topping in a smooth even layer
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut & a little extra sweetened coconut if desired
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.