There is something you may or may not know about me. I am a 100% coconut FREAK!! When I say freak – I mean, everything I can pick that has a variety of scents- I will ALWAYS choose coconut (or something with hints of coconut tones) Without question – my all time favorite scent, flavor- everything. If I can find a way to add it – I will. I don’t know what it is. Maybe the scent reminds me of home. Maybe it just reminds me of goodies. I really can’t tell you- but I am completely OBSESSED. So much so that I spent $70 at Bath & Body Works the other weekend on their new Oahu scented line. Bought it ALL & smother myself in it several times a day. I can’t get enough. Soooooo just be warned that now that it’s Spring – I will be sharing many recipes with coconut. (insert huge happy- teethy grin here) Now- with most coconut recipes- the toasted version is always better. So I thought I would start by sharing How to Toast Coconut so we have a good reference point going forward.
Look at it – it smells AH-MAZ-ING!!!!!!! I can’t even tell you just how much.
The kids just kept commenting on how good the house smelled while I was making it.
How to Toast Coconut
- 1- 16 oz bag sweetened Coconut
- 1 tbsp coconut oil optional
- In a large skillet - add coconut. You don't have to use the coconut oil- it just adds a little more crisp. However the coconut will release some oils when it heats so it's your choice.
- Spread coconut across the bottom of the pan & heat over medium - stirring every 30 seconds or so to maintain even browning. Be careful & don't get distracted - it will burn quickly if you forget to stir
- Keep stirring & browning until it reaches the desired caramel color that you desire. Most pieces should be light brown in color.
- Some people like it lighter - I prefer it toastier.
- Remove from heat & allow to cool completely.
- Can store up to several months in airtight container at room temperature.
It was all I could do to save some for recipes- I wanted to eat it all.
Want More Spring Recipes?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE