These M&M cookie bars combine candies and cookie pieces in a delicious cookie dough base. Baking them all in one dish makes it so much quicker and easier than making individual cookies.
If you like sweet, chewy cookie bars, these are definitely for you. They’re a great way to get an easy dessert whipped up in no time and they work well as a sweet treat for nearly any occasion.
The next time you are looking for an easy dessert recipe, turn to these delicious cookie bars — they might just become a new family favorite.
Common Questions about M&M Cookie Bars
What is the difference between a Blondie and a cookie bar?
Blondies are more like a version of brownies whereas cookie bars are a denser bar form of a cookie.
What defines a cookie bar?
Cookie bars are made with a stiff batter that, when baked, are often chewy but can have a cakey texture, too.
What is the difference between a bar and a cookie?
Cookies are baked separately from each other on a baking sheet while bars are baked in a pan and then sliced into rectangles or squares. Bars often have a more dense texture.
You can keep these cookie bars stored on the counter for up to 3 days, or keep them longer in the fridge or freezer.
Refrigerator: Store cookie bars in an airtight container or wrapped in aluminum foil for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Freezing: Freeze cookie bars for 8-12 months in a freezer-safe container, freezer bag, or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.
Tips For Making the Most Delicious M&M Cookie Bars
- Be sure to use both baking powder and baking soda so that the bars rise perfectly.
- Using unsalted butter will help you get the best results when making these bars. The addition of salt later will be all that you need.
- When chopping the candies, try to ensure evenness in the size of the pieces.
- Use parchment paper to separate cookie bars from each other when refrigerating or freezing.
Basic ingredients are all you need to bake up these delicious bars.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter (melted)
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar packed
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- M&M candies
- Oreo cookies coarsely chopped
- Chopped peanut butter cups
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
Standard supplies are all you need for this easy recipe.
- Stand mixer with a paddle attachment or an electric hand mixer
- Large mixing bowls
- Rubber spatula
- Baking dish
How to Make Cookie Bars with M&Ms
You’ll love how quickly you can make this simple sweet treat.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl and whisk together until the ingredients are evenly dispersed.
- Then, add the melted butter, sugar, and brown sugar to a large mixing bowl. Beat until completely combined.
- Next, pour the eggs and the vanilla extract into the butter mixture.
- Mix again until the eggs and extract are thoroughly incorporated.
- While continuing to mix, gradually add the already-mixed dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the bowl.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to incorporate all ingredients.
- Once mixed, use the spatula to fold in the M&Ms, Oreos, and peanut butter cups.
- Transfer the cookie dough to the prepared baking pan with parchment paper. Press dough evenly into the pan.
- Bake until the bars are golden brown with crisp edges and pass the toothpick test.
- Remove from the oven and place the entire pan on a wire rack until the bars have cooled to room temperature.
- Take the cookies out of the pan using the excess parchment paper.
- Slice and then serve or store.
What to Serve With M&M Cookie Bars
You don’t need to pair these with anything — they’re a delicious dessert all on their own. But if you want to, here are a few ideas.
- Milk – A perfect pairing for cookie bars is a big, cold glass of milk or chocolate milk.
- Coffee – Coffee always goes well with dessert.
- Whipped cream – Dip these cookie bars into whipped cream for a fun treat.
- Sauce – Drizzle the top of the bars with caramel sauce or hot fudge before serving.
- Ice cream – Top these bars with your favorite flavor of ice cream.
Why You Should Make Cookie Bars with M&Ms
There are tons of reasons to make these sweet cookie bars.
- Easy – This simple cookie bar recipe comes together so quickly and easily.
- Customizable – There are lots of ways you can change up these easy bars.
- Convenient – You can easily find any ingredients you don’t already have at your local grocery store.
- Versatile – These are a perfect treat to add to a Christmas cookie tray or to take to a holiday cookie exchange but they’re actually great any time of year. Serve them at a family gathering or cookout or take them to bake sales.
Cookie Bar Variation and Add-ins
Switch up a few of the ingredients to your own spin on these bars.
- Flour – Experiment with using an alternative flour like almond flour or coconut flour.
- Candies – Switch out any of the candies for one of your other favorite small candies or crushed candy pieces. You can also swap out some or all of the traditional M&M candies with the peanut butter variety for a peanut butter M&M cookie bar.
- Sugar – Use your favorite sugar substitute.
- Colors – Use different colored M&Ms to change them up for any holiday season. Try red and green for Christmas M&M cookie bars or white and green M&M mixture for St. Patrick’s Day.
- Mini chocolate chips – Try adding in some milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate chips.
If you love this easy Cookie Bars recipe, you’re going to love these other bar recipes too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
More Delicious Handheld Desserts
No Bake Chocolate Caramel Oat Bars
CONNECT WITH TASTE OF THE FRONTIER!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
M&M Cookie Bars
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter melted (unsalted – 2 sticks)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&M candies
- 18 Oreo cookies coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chopped peanut butter cups
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 baking pan by spritzing with nonstick cooking spray or oil OR lining with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the melted butter, sugar, and brown sugar together until well combined. Add the eggs and the vanilla extract, mixing well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl and beat on low until combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Fold in the M&Ms, chopped Oreos, and the peanut butter cups.
- Press the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and let it cool completely before removing the bars.
- To cut the bars, lift the cookies from the baking pan using the parchment paper. For easier slicing, use a serrated plastic knife.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Share Your Thoughts