I had the pleasure of receiving a copy of the eBook Summer Thyme: Bittersweet Walnut Grove (Volume 3)
from the co-author herself, Kristy from Life n’ Reflection. I always enjoy all the great ideas in their whole Bitter Sweet Walnut Grove series & so I jumped at the chance to preview this book too. One of the things that I tried first was the French Vanilla Ice Cream.
You see- I had made these Mini French Apple Pies & we didn’t have any ice cream to go on top. We really didn’t want to run to the store for just ice cream so I decided to use my new recipe found in the book instead. Turned out GREAT!!! I was thrilled to find that recipe in the book & will be using it again & again. Thank you Kristy.
This book is loaded with all sorts of fabulous ideas like:
– Lemon Pie
– Applique patterns
-Lemon glaze recipe
-Lemon Raspberry Coffee Cake
and SO MUCH MORE!!!!!!
Nearly 80 pages of ideas, recipes & tutorials to keep your creativity flowing all summer long.
I also used Kristy’s recipe for these Lemon Shake Up’s when I had my Lemonade Stand with the kids
You remember that. It was great to have a recipe on hand just when I needed it.
& when I made the Sour Shirley drink I shared last week.
So happy to be able to make the French Vanilla Ice Cream when I needed it for the Mini French Apple Pies.
It was so good & saved the day when we wanted to enjoy the pies.
So I know- now you want to see the pies right??!! Have I teased it enough yet??
Here they are- so good. Just a couple bites each so less guilt than a whole slice.
They were perfect for the kids. Only wished that I had made more. This recipe yields 12.
Mini French Apple Pies
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp shortening
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- dash salt
- 4 cups tart peeled apples - chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup stick butter
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Add all ingredients to bowl
- Using 2 knives & crossing over or use a pastry blender combine until crumbly.
- Gather into a ball, shape on floured surface.
- Roll out with floured rolling pin.
- Cut into squares & push into muffin tin cups.
- Add all ingredients in large bowl & toss to coat apples.
- Fill each mini pie crust to the top (as they cook they will shrink)
- Add all ingredients to bowl & mix with fork- breaking up until crumbly.
- Sprinkle a spoonful of topping over each pie
Bake 30-45 minutes checking every 5 minutes after you reach 30 minutes.
- They are done when they are golden brown & bubbling.
You can pick up a copy of Summer Thyme: Bittersweet Walnut Grove (Volume 3)
where you can get either the Kindle version or the paperback.
Makes a really lovely gift too – so be sure to buy two copies.
Don’t forget to come back & join me on Mondays for Project 52
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE