Adding Sugar Skulls to your Halloween celebrations is easy with these double chocolate Sugar Skull Cupcakes. They are adorable, delicious & so easy to make.
Sugar Skull Cupcakes
Remember a little while ago when I posted on Instagram about finding the mother load of sugar skull items at Target? My husband & older daughter were with me at the time.
We had just the little hand basket. When my hubs turned the corner & saw it all there he immediately sent my daughter back for a large cart, because he knew we were not walking out of there without buying it all.
I was seriously not kidding when I said that I cleaned them out. I found every single thing they had in that store with sugar skulls & took it home with me. Yes I love them.
My office is filled with them, I have one on my ankle – I can’t get enough of the sugar skulls.
So of course when it comes to this time of year I get super excited because not only can I decorate with them more, but it’s so much easier to find them in stores. And, of course, I go a little nuts when I do find them & become a freak.
So some of the things I picked up were these adorable cupcake wrappers & candy toppers. I was literally squealing in the store. It was obnoxious & my family was walking away from me. But I didn’t care – they are so cute. So I knew I had to make them right away!!! I soooooooo looooooooveeeee them!!!
Sugar Skull Cupcakes
- 1 box cake mix - Triple Chocolate Fudge flavor plus ingredients
- oil, eggs, water
- 2-3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp butter
- 5-6 tbsp evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
sugar skull cupcake wrappers
Sugar Skull candy toppers
- **Halloween colored jimmies orange, black, silver
- Preheat oven & prepare cupcakes to directions listed on the box
Note- be sure to use your sugar skull cupcake wrappers
- Once your cupcakes have baked, remove from oven & let cool on a wire rack while you make the frosting.
- Place confectioners sugar & cocoa powder in medium size bowl & whisk until light & fluffy
- In mixer bowl, beat butter until smooth
- Add in sugar/cocoa mixture & mix slowly while adding evaporated milk & vanilla
- Once milk is added, increase speed & beat well until light & fluffy
- *if you want it thicker- add more sugar, if you want thinner or less stiff- add more milk
- Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip
- Pipe frosting on cupcakes
- Add sprinkles & sugar skull candy
Don’t forget to make these with a dark, chocolate cake mix. It makes these the perfect Halloween treat!
Looking for more great sugar skull ideas?