Adding Sugar Skulls to your Halloween celebrations is easy with these double chocolate Sugar Skull Cupcakes. They are adorable, delicious & so easy to make.
Sugar Skull Cupcakes
Remember a little while ago when I posted on Instagram about finding the mother load of sugar skull items at Target? My husband & older daughter were with me at the time.
We had just the little hand basket. When my hubs turned the corner & saw it all there he immediately sent my daughter back for a large cart, because he knew we were not walking out of there without buying it all.
I was seriously not kidding when I said that I cleaned them out. I found every single thing they had in that store with sugar skulls & took it home with me. Yes I love them.
My office is filled with them, I have one on my ankle – I can’t get enough of the sugar skulls.
So of course when it comes to this time of year I get super excited because not only can I decorate with them more, but it’s so much easier to find them in stores. And, of course, I go a little nuts when I do find them & become a freak.
So some of the things I picked up were these adorable cupcake wrappers & candy toppers. I was literally squealing in the store. It was obnoxious & my family was walking away from me. But I didn’t care – they are so cute. So I knew I had to make them right away!!! I soooooooo looooooooveeeee them!!!
Sugar Skull Cupcakes
- 1 box cake mix - Triple Chocolate Fudge flavor plus ingredients
- oil, eggs, water
- 2-3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp butter
- 5-6 tbsp evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
sugar skull cupcake wrappers
Sugar Skull candy toppers
- **Halloween colored jimmies orange, black, silver
- Preheat oven & prepare cupcakes to directions listed on the box
Note- be sure to use your sugar skull cupcake wrappers
- Once your cupcakes have baked, remove from oven & let cool on a wire rack while you make the frosting.
- Place confectioners sugar & cocoa powder in medium size bowl & whisk until light & fluffy
- In mixer bowl, beat butter until smooth
- Add in sugar/cocoa mixture & mix slowly while adding evaporated milk & vanilla
- Once milk is added, increase speed & beat well until light & fluffy
- *if you want it thicker- add more sugar, if you want thinner or less stiff- add more milk
- Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip
- Pipe frosting on cupcakes
- Add sprinkles & sugar skull candy
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Don’t forget to make these with a dark, chocolate cake mix. It makes these the perfect Halloween treat!
Looking for more great sugar skull ideas?
Day of the Dead Face Paint Tutorial
Don’t miss these great ideas from these bloggers….
DIY Painted Sugar Skull from Twelve O Eight
Day of the Dead Marshmallow Sugar Skull Pops from Mom.me
These are so cute, I love the sugar skulls!
I love sugar skulls too! I’m going to check out our Target and hopefully I’ll find some!