The cold winter weather has arrived not only here in North Idaho- but in nearly every place in the country. So are you wanting to hunker down, pull out the slow cooker & make some comfort food?? Yeah – I thought so. I have the perfect Easy Family Dinner Ideas for you. I love utilizing my slow cooker on cold winter days because I can have dinner going & still have my stove top & oven free for all the other things I want to make. On the coldest days my favorite place to be is in the kitchen baking. The oven warms the room & it feels so cozy. But I still need dinner & that’s where this Slow Cooker Clam Chowder comes in.
This recipe proves that a good Clam chowder doesn’t have to be complicated.
The hubs was traveling when I made this. He sure missed out. The kids didn’t leave him even a taste.
Slow Cooker Clam Chowder
- 4 6.5 ounce cans minced clams with juice
- 1 pack bacon- cooked
- 1 medium onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 6 medium potatoes russet or red - peeled & chopped
- 1 cup clam juice from your cans
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1 tsp fresh parsley
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 cups milk
- 4-6 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2-2 cups instant potato flakes
- Cook bacon until it's crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking add onion, clams, celery, chopped potatoes, clam juice, broth, seasonings to crock pot & cook on high 3-4 hours or on low 6-7 hours
- When bacon is done - chop & add to soup
- During the last hour - add half & half.
- In a separate bowl combine cornstarch & milk - add to soup & allow to continue to cook & to thicken
- If it's not as thick as you like - add potato flakes 1/2 a cup at a time - waiting about 10 minutes before adding more until you reach the thickness you desire
Looking for more hearty soups?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE