Honey chicken wings are delightfully crispy on the outside, moist on the inside, and are tossed with an insanely delicious (yet simple) sweet and savory sauce. They are a hit for game day or any party.
What I love about this tasty chicken wing recipe is that since it’s made in an air fryer, the wings are so much healthier than if they were made in a deep fryer.
The next time you’re looking for an incredibly easy appetizer to feed a house full of football fans (or for any other get-together), check out these honey chicken wings — they’re always a crowd-pleaser!
Common Questions about Honey Chicken Wings
What’s the secret to perfectly crispy wings?
Drying the skin by blotting it with paper towels will help the wings to be crispy. It’s also important to make sure they are fully coated with the flour and seasonings.
How many wings should I plan to serve per person?
The minimum amount of wings I would recommend is a serving size of half a dozen chicken wings per person. You may want to plan up to 10 or 12 for each person, though, if you anticipate having a hungry crowd.
Do frozen wings need to be thawed?
We recommend using fresh chicken wings but if you are using frozen wings you do need to thaw them before air frying.
Making Air Fryer Honey Buffalo Wings Ahead of Time
You can toss the chicken with the ingredients for the coating and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before cooking.
We recommend enjoying these straight out of the fryer. When leftover wings are stored, the skin of the chicken doesn’t retain the same crispy perfection. If you must store them, though, place wings in an airtight container and keep them for up to 3 days.
Tips For The Best Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
While this recipe is pretty straightforward, there are a few tips to make sure your wings will wow your guests.
- Serve wings immediately after saucing. These are best when they’re still crispy and hot.
- Make the sauce while the wings are cooking. Doing this will make sure you can toss the wings in the sauce as soon as they’re finished in the air fryer.
- Use unsalted butter. Since there’s already salt on the coating of the chicken you may want to avoid using salted butter.
- Always sauce the wings after cooking to ensure the sauce doesn’t burn in the air fryer.
- Ensure that the wings have plenty of space between them in the fryer basket so that they can crisp up perfectly. You may need to make the wings in small batches to make that happen.
Ingredients for Honey Chicken Wings
You’ll likely have most of these wing and sauce ingredients in your pantry or fridge already.
- Chicken wings
- Chicken wing portions
- All-purpose flour
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
Honey Buffalo Sauce
- Hot sauce
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
You only need a few supplies to make this easy recipe.
How to Make Honey Chicken Wings
These easy wings are super simple to make and fry up in nearly no time.
- Place the wings, flour, garlic powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Toss the ingredients to completely combine, ensuring that the flour mixture is evenly spread on the wings.
- Spray olive oil cooking spray into the air fryer basket. If you don’t have olive oil spray try using another variety that has a neutral oil.
- Place the coated chicken wings in the basket in a single layer. Ensure not to overlap the wings so that the hot air can reach all sides of the chicken.
- Spray the wings with the cooking spray as well.
- Cook the wings for the recommended amount of time before flipping them and continuing to cook.
- When the wings have reached the desired internal temperature, transfer them to a wire rack until ready to toss with the sauce.
Honey Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Place the hot sauce, honey, and butter in a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat the ingredients until the butter has melted.
- Whisk the ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, toss the wings with the sauce or serve it on the side for dipping.
*You can also make this sauce in a small saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat.
What to Serve With Air Fryer Chicken Wings
From sauces to sides there’s no shortage of options to serve with wings.
- Snacks – Serve these delicious wings alongside an array of other tasty appetizers like baked jalapeno poppers, chips, and dip, or smoked meatballs.
- Soup – Make an easy dinner by pairing these tasty wings with a warm bowl of soup.
- Salad – Make a simple Buffalo chicken salad by serving these with greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and any other veggies you like on your salad.
- Deli salads – Macaroni salad, potato salad, and coleslaw all pair well with wings.
- Dipping sauce – Ranch and blue cheese dressing are both favorites but you can create your own simple sauce, too.
- Celery sticks – Celery sticks are a classic accompaniment with wings.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
- Easy – This super simple recipe makes getting hot, steamy wings on the table fast.
- Customizable – You can easily change up the flavor profile of these chicken wings.
- Versatile – So many people love wings — these are great for a party, game day, cookout, or movie night.
- Affordable – With just a few ingredients you can make this a cost-effective way to feed a crowd.
Variations and Add-ins
Wings are easy to modify to incorporate the flavors you love.
- Soy sauce – Replace the Buffalo sauce with soy sauce for an Asian-inspired wing flavor. You can also add sesame oil or sesame seeds for added flavor.
- Garlic – Omit the Buffalo sauce and add minced fresh garlic or garlic powder for honey garlic wings. You may need to increase the amount of butter and honey to have enough sauce for all of the wings.
- Sweetness – If you want to increase the sweetness of the wings, try adding brown sugar to the sauce.
- Black pepper – For a little extra mild heat add a few dashes of ground black pepper.
- Herbs and spices – For a savory herb chicken wing without the heat or the sweetness, omit the Buffalo sauce and the honey and mix your favorite herbs or spices with the butter before tossing it with the wings.
- Heat – If you want even more heat, try adding cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or chili powder.
- Onion powder – For even more flavor try adding onion powder to the chicken coating or the sauce.
If you love this easy Air Fryer Honey Buffalo Chicken Wings recipe, you’re going to love these other chicken wings too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Other Delicious Air Fryer Dishes
If you love this recipe for Air Fryer Honey Buffalo Chicken Wings as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Honey Chicken Wings
- 1 pound chicken wings portions
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Honey Buffalo Sauce
- ½ cup hot sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Add the chicken wing portions, flour, garlic powder, and salt to a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray and add the chicken wings in a single layer. Make sure not to overcrowd the basket or they won’t get crispy!
- Spray the top of the wings with olive oil spray and cook at 400F for 8 minutes.
- Flip the chicken wings and cook for an additional 8 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the air fryer and set them aside while you make the sauce.
Honey Buffalo Sauce
- Combine the hot sauce, honey, and butter in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute. Whisk to combine. If the butter is not fully melted, heat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour the sauce over the wings and serve immediately.
- Air Fryer
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.