One of my favorite store-bought treats growing up was Little Debbie Star Crunch Cookies, with their fudgy chocolate, gooey caramel, and crunchy rice bits. So, naturally, I had to find a way to make them at home — hence these Copycat Star Crunch Cookies.
This copycat recipe is every bit as good as the Little Debbie version. It definitely satisfies my sweet tooth as well as my craving for the nostalgic cookie.
The best part is that these are no-bake cookies! You do have to let your microwave do a wee bit of work to briefly melt some of the ingredients, but there’s no heating up the oven to make these.
The next time you want an easy recipe for a cookie that could easily transport you back to childhood, try this one. It may just become one of your new favorite recipes!
Common Questions about Copycat Star Crunch Cookies
What is a Star Crunch Cookie?
This cookie was made popular originally by Little Debbie — they became available in 1971. They are chewy cookies that combine crispy rice cereal with marshmallows, creamy chocolate, and caramel.
What do Star Crunch Cookies taste like?
This sweet treat is a delicious blend of creamy milk chocolate, crisp rice cereal, sweet marshmallows, and amazing caramel flavor.
Making Copycat Star Crunch Cookies Ahead of Time
These are so quick to make, you don’t need to make them ahead! However, they do stay fresh for a couple of days so you can make the entire recipe a day or two before serving.
You might not have any leftovers of these amazing cookies, but if you do they are easily stored. Just remember that they’re best served at room temperature.
Refrigerator: Wrap the cookies individually in parchment paper, wax paper, or plastic wrap and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also store it in an airtight container but be sure to place it in a single layer or separate it with parchment paper.
Freezing: Store cookies in freezer bags or a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Tips For The Best Copycat Star Crunch Cookies
These simple cookies are pretty fail-proof but there are a few ways to make sure they turn out amazing.
- Make sure your butter is softened. This will help to make mixing the ingredients easier.
- Spray your hands. Applying either cooking spray or a neutral oil to your palms will keep the mixture from sticking to your hands.
- Make sure that you melt the ingredients in intervals and stir frequently. It is easy to overcook the ingredients if you don’t.
You only need a few simple ingredients from your local store to whip up these homemade Star Crunch cookies.
- Caramel bits
- Chocolate chips
- Salted butter (softened)
- Rice cereal
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
Only a few basic supplies are needed to make these easy cookies.
How to Make Copycat Star Crunch Cookies
This simple recipe is so easy to make you’ll wonder why you hadn’t done it before!
- Place the caramel bits, chocolate chips, and butter into a large microwave-safe dish.
- Briefly microwave the ingredients on low heat at the recommended power percentage.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir the chocolate mixture.
- Microwave and stir again.
- Add the marshmallows.
- Continue to microwave and stir at intervals until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the rice cereal into the marshmallow mixture and stir until it is completely combined.
- Use the measuring cup to scoop out a portion of the cereal mixture.
- Use your hands to roll it into a ball.
- Place the ball on the baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Gently flatten it slightly with the bottom of the measuring cup or your palm.
- Repeat the process until all of the mixture has been used.
- Allow the cookies to set before serving.
What to Serve With Copycat Star Crunch Cookies
You can serve virtually anything with these crunchy cookies.
- Milk – A big glass of cold milk or your favorite milk alternative is perfect for dunking.
- Coffee – A cup of coffee goes well with these chocolatey cookies.
- Whipped cream – Use it as a dip or dollop it on top.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
These are so delicious and easy that they might become one of your new favorite treats to make at home.
- Sentimental – Nearly everyone loves a dessert that takes them back to their childhood.
- Easy – This recipe comes together quickly and easily.
- Versatile – These are a perfect treat for a cookout or party but they work well for a cookie swap or bake sale, too.
- Convenient – All of the ingredients are easily accessible at the grocery store.
Variations and Add-ins
These nostalgic cookies are great in their classic style but you can make them your own, too.
- Nuts – Crushed nuts add some texture to these cookies. Try pecans, pistachios, or walnuts.
- Salt – If you’re a fan of salt with your sweets, try adding a sprinkle.
- Chocolate chips – Fold in some extra chips whether it’s white chocolate, dark chocolate, or milk chocolate.
- Peanut butter – Drizzle some melted peanut butter over top or add it to the batter.
- Caramel – Melt some caramel chips and spoon the hot caramel over top.
- Oats – Instead of rice, make an oatmeal-style cookie by using whole-grain rolled oats.
- Vanilla extract – To highlight the sweet flavors in this cookie, add a dash or two of vanilla extract.
- Unsalted butter – If you don’t have salted butter on hand you can use unsalted and just throw a pinch of salt in while making the cookies.
- Type of chocolate – While the traditional variety is milk chocolate you could use dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Other Creative Copycat Recipes
Copycat DoubleTree Hotel Cookies
Lofthouse Sugar Cookies – Copycat Recipe
Mrs. Field’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream
If you love this easy copycat Star Crunch cookies recipe, you’re going to love these other no-bake treats too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
If you love this recipe for Homemade copycat Star Crunch cookies as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH TASTE OF THE FRONTIER!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Copycat Star Crunch Cookies
- ½ cup caramel bits
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 2 cups mini-marshmallow
- 2 cups rice cereal
- Combine the caramel bits, chocolate chips, and butter in a large microwave-safe dish. Microwave at 50% power for 1 minute.
- Stir the mixture and then microwave for another 30 seconds at 50% power until melted and creamy.
- Add the marshmallows and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until smooth. Stirring in-between each interval.
- Add the rice cereal and mix until the cereal is fully coated.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop the mixture and then roll it into a ball. Spraying your hands with oil makes this easy and less sticky.
- Place the rolled ball on a parchment lined baking sheet. Compress it with your hand or the flat side of the 1/4 cup measuring cup.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture until all 8 cookies are pressed.
- Let the cookies sit and firm for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve right away or wrap individually in plastic wrap or parchment and store for lunch boxes!
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Share Your Thoughts