Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream, just like your favorite childhood Thrifty Ice Cream flavor. This easy summer dessert is simply the best homemade ice cream flavor EVER!
When I was a kid we had a drug store called Thrifty. Did you have one near you? They were founded way back in 1919 & they were everywhere when I was growing up.
They have since gone through several changes & I think they are now owned by Rite-Aid. But if you lived on the west coast then you probably know what I’m talking about.
You probably also remember that they sold ice cream. You would go there to get your prescriptions with your parents & pick up some other things sold there – gift cards, whatever.
And if you were lucky you would get to stop at the little ice cream counter & get a single or double cone of your favorite flavor. One flavor that was signature to them was Chocolate Malted Crunch.
It was certainly a favorite for me & everyone else I knew. It soon became that if there was a special event & you wanted to celebrate – you went to Thrifty & picked up a cone.
I think I had several dates that ended with stopping there for a cone of Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream. It was absolutely the THING TO DO when I was growing up & it was so easy too because they were literally walking distance from my house.
Chocolate Malted Crunch
Unfortunately, though all the changes with the company – the whole ice cream thing went away in the areas where I have lived & goodbye to Chocolate Malted Crunch. (They sell it in cartons in the stores but I don’t get in there too often) Soooooo I finally decided to figure out how to make some & share it all with you today. YIPPEE!
It’s every bit as good as I remember. I know you will think so too!
It was certainly way too long to go since my last cone when I was a kid. So happy I don’t have to go without anymore.
Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream
To make Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream you will need…
Truly takes me back to every fun & wonderful memory I have from my childhood. They all seem to swirl around treats & going out for ice cream.
It was just the thing my mom & I shared together oh so many times & that I love so much.
It was also the thing my best childhood friend & I would go do after school or over the summer break. Walk around the corner for a cone of Chocolate Malted Crunch.
Sometimes her dad would be in town visiting & he would always have to have a taste from each of ours. (just to make sure it wasn’t poisoned he would say) Hehe – I can’t help but smile thinking back & knowing that I can bring that wonderful flavor to my kids now.
Chocolate malt ice cream with bits of malt ball crushed in there – DIVINE!
Here are some commonly asked questions
Can I use a hand mixer?
Yes, absolutely, that will work just fine. It will take a bit longer than a stand mixer, but just be patient.
Can I use a malt milk substitute?
I have not personally tried it, so I can’t say how that would turn out. It won’t truly be malted ice cream without adding the malted milk powder to the recipe.
How many can this serve?
Depending on how large or small your scoops are, you should be able to serve about 8 people with 1-2 scoops each.
recipe for Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream
Can this recipe be doubled?
You can, and we do it often. Just keep in mind that you will need a very large bowl to do this because of the volume of the ingredients during the whipping process.
HOW DO YOU MAKE Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream?
- Whisk sweetened condensed milk & malt powder in medium sized bowl until combined.
- In mixer bowl whip heavy cream to firm peaks.
- Take 2-3 spoonfuls of whipped cream & gently fold into your milk/malt mixture. (this should thin it out)
- Transfer that chocolate mixture to your large bowl of remaining whipped cream & GENTLY fold in until completely combined. Be careful to not overmix & break your whipped cream.
- Add chopped malt balls – fold in.
- Transfer to airtight container, cover & freeze 6-8 hours before serving.
If you love this Easy Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream recipe, you’re going to love these other treats too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
malted crunch ice cream
If you love this recipe for Homemade Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH KLEINWORTH & CO!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Don’t miss these great ideas from these bloggers….
Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup malt milk powder
- 1 cup malt balls Roughly Chopped
- Whisk the sweetened condensed milk & malt powder in medium sized bowl until combined.
- In mixer bowl, whip heavy cream to firm peaks.
- Take 2-3 spoonfuls of whipped cream & gently fold it into your milk/malt mixture (this should thin it out).
- Transfer that chocolate mixture to your large bowl of remaining whipped cream & GENTLY fold it in until completely combined. Be careful to not overmix & break your whipped cream.
- Add the chopped malt balls & carefully fold in.
- Transfer to an airtight container, cover & freeze 6-8 hours before serving.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.