This easy chicken fajita casserole recipe takes the classic restaurant meal and turns it into a simple one-dish meal that the whole family will love. You won’t need to call anyone to the dinner table once they smell this meal cooking.
The casserole is filled with cooked chicken, veggies, and rice all topped with ooey gooey cheese. It’s a complete meal on its own, but you can add sides, too.
This dish is completely customizable, too, from the protein to the seasonings. And if you have anyone in the house following a keto diet, you can easily make this into a keto chicken casserole by omitting the rice.
The next time you want a quick meal on a busy weeknight, or to please a crowd at a party, try this super simple chicken fajita casserole.
Common Questions about Chicken Fajita Casserole
What goes well with chicken fajitas?
There are so many options for sides with chicken fajitas. Rice, salads, soup, chili, and roasted potatoes are all good options.
What kind of cheese do you use for fajitas?
You can use any cheese that you like. We like shredded cheddar cheese but you can also try Monterey Jack, Colby, or pepper jack cheese,
What sauces do you have with fajitas?
Salsa is a solid option but you can always use any sauce you like on the side. Hot sauce is a good option as is ranchero sauce.
Chicken fajita casserole is easy to store in the fridge or freezer making it a great option for meal prep for the week.
Refrigerator: Store chicken fajita casserole in its original baking dish covered with foil or plastic wrap for 3-4 days. Or, transfer to an airtight container.
Freezing: Freeze chicken fajita casserole in individual portions in freezer bags for up to 3 months.
Tips for the Best Chicken Fajita Casserole
This chicken fajita casserole recipe is pretty foolproof, but there are a few things you can do to get the best results.
- Use leftover rotisserie chicken to cut down on prep time.
- Allow ingredients to come to room temperature so that they are easier to mix.
- Use full-fat cream cheese for the creamiest casserole.
- Shred cheddar cheese instead of using store-bought shredded cheese for the freshest flavor.
While this recipe is already easy to make, you can speed up prep time by purchasing already-diced vegetables in the produce section of your local grocery store.
- Cream cheese (room temperature)
- Sour cream
- Fajita seasoning mix
- Chicken breast (cooked and diced)
- White rice instant (uncooked)
- Green bell peppers (seeded and diced)
- Red bell peppers (seeded and diced)
- Onion diced
- Cheddar cheese shredded fiesta blend (divided)
- Additional sour cream, diced tomatoes, diced avocado, black olives, and fresh chopped cilantro (as garnish)
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
Only using a couple of basic kitchen tools makes for easy cleanup.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas Casserole
This dish comes together so quickly — it’s perfect for even the busiest weeknights.
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream, and fajita seasoning to a large bowl and mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Mix the chicken, rice, green peppers, red peppers, onions, and some of the cheese into the cream cheese mixture.
- Spoon the ingredients into the casserole dish prepared with cooking spray.
- After covering the dish with foil, place the casserole in a preheated oven and bake.
- Shortly before the end of the cooking time, remove the foil and add cheese to the top of the casserole.
- Bake until the cheese is melted.
What to Serve With Chicken Fajita Bake
You can serve any of your favorite Mexican-style snacks or sides with this casserole.
- Tortillas – Serve corn or flour tortillas to fill with the casserole or tortilla chips on the side for dipping.
- Soup – A warm vegetable soup or a cold gazpacho both work well with this casserole.
- Salad – A simple green salad is a great side with this casserole.
Why You Should Make Fajita Chicken Casserole
If traditional fajitas are your favorite when you go out for Mexican food, you’ll fall in love with this easy way to get a similar style meal on the table.
- Easy – There are only a couple of simple steps necessary to get this meal made fast.
- Versatile – While this casserole is a great way to get dinner on the table quickly after a long day, it’s also perfect for parties.
- Convenient – All of the ingredients are simple and easy to find at the grocery store or your farmer’s market.
Variations and Add-ins
There are so many ways to change up the flavor profile of this dish.
- Vegetables – Add or switch veggies in the casserole. Try using corn or your family’s favorites.
- Beans – Pour in some pinto beans or black beans.
- Heat – Spice it up with crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, chili powder, green chiles, or hot sauce.
- Protein – Swap out the chicken for beef, turkey, pork, or your favorite plant-based alternative.
- Rice – Instead of rice, try using cauliflower rice.
- Spices – Add other spices like garlic powder, cumin, or onion powder.
- Herbs – Use a little bit of fresh cilantro or other herbs from your garden.
If you love this easy Chicken Fajita Casserole recipe, you’re going to love these other casseroles too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
More Delicious Casseroles
If you love this recipe for Chicken Fajita Casserole as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Chicken Fajita Casserole
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons fajita seasoning mix
- 4 cups chicken breast – cooked and diced
- 1 cup white rice instant – uncooked
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded fiesta blend – divided
Additional sour cream, diced tomatoes, diced avocado, and freshly chopped cilantro as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, sour cream, and fajita seasoning until well blended.
- Add the chicken, rice, bell peppers, onions, and 1 cup of cheese to the cream cheese mixture, stir to combine.
- Transfer the ingredients to the prepared casserole dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake, covered, for 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, for 10 additional minutes.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.