This cheesy chicken broccoli casserole recipe makes one hearty dish– it’s a complete meal. With tender chicken and crisp broccoli over white rice, all smothered in a creamy sauce, this dish is pure comfort food that the whole family will love.
This dish is closely related to another favorite of mine — chicken divan. It’s a similar take that involves chicken, broccoli, and lots of cheesy goodness.
If you’re looking for an easy casserole that delivers lots of nutrition but doesn’t take a lot of time, this could become your new favorite meal.
Common Questions about Chicken Broccoli Casserole
What goes with chicken and broccoli casserole?
This casserole is one of those dishes that goes with just about anything as a side. Serve some crusty bread or warm dinner rolls, a simple green salad, or a cup of soup.
Can I substitute frozen broccoli for fresh in a casserole?
You absolutely can substitute frozen broccoli for fresh broccoli. Cooking times may need to be adjusted but it’s an easy swap.
Do you need to wash chicken?
You do not need to wash chicken. In fact, washing chicken can unnecessarily spread bacteria in your kitchen.
You can store this easy casserole in the fridge or freezer to heat up later in the week or take for lunch.
Refrigerator: Wrap the casserole dish with aluminum foil or plastic wrap or store individual portions in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Freezing: Freeze portions of this dish in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Tips for the Best Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
This easy recipe doesn’t require too many tips to make it absolutely delicious.
- Save time by using rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken instead of cooking chicken breasts.
- Grate cheddar cheese from the block rather than using prepackaged shredded cheese for fresher flavor.
All of these ingredients are easy to find at any local grocery store.
- Broccoli (chopped; frozen or fresh)
- Olive oil
- Onion (chopped)
- Boneless skinless chicken breast (or rotisserie)
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Long grain white rice
- Chicken broth more if needed
- Cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese (grated)
- Bread crumbs
- Unsalted butter (melted)
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need to Make This Broccoli Cheese Chicken Casserole
You don’t need a lot to put together this cheesy and delicious dish.
- Microwave-safe dish
- Baking dish
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Casserole
These simple steps will yield the best chicken casserole ever.
- Microwave broccoli, then strain.
- Add shredded or cubed chicken to a large skillet that’s been preheated.
- Season chicken.
- Stir the chicken frequently until cooked through (or warmed for rotisserie chicken).
- Transfer chicken to a plate and add onion to the skillet.
- Once the onion is soft, add the rice and saute until browned.
- Pour chicken broth into the skillet with the rice and onion.
- In a separate bowl, stir the soup, sour cream, and mayonnaise.
- Add the soup mixture to the skillet with the rice and onion. Stir together and cook until the rice is tender.
- Pour the rice mixture into the prepared baking dish before also adding the broccoli and cooked chicken.
- Pour cheese over top of the broccoli and chicken mixture and cover with aluminum foil.
- Place in the preheated oven.
- Mix bread crumbs and butter in a small bowl.
- When close to being finished cooking, remove the foil from the casserole and sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over top of the casserole.
- Continue baking the casserole briefly until the bread crumbs are golden brown.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and allow to rest briefly.
- Serve warm.
What to Serve With Chicken Broccoli Casserole
This casserole works well with so many sides.
- Salad – A simple salad of greens dressed with vinaigrette works well or you can serve something heartier like a cobb salad.
- Potatoes – Mashed potatoes, smashed potatoes, and roasted potatoes are all amazing sides for this comforting meal.
- Vegetables – Roast up other veggies like carrots or beets to serve alongside.
Why You Should Make Chicken Broccoli Casserole
If you like hearty meals that are creamy and cheesy, you’ll want to make this regularly.
- Easy – This is a casserole that comes together quickly and you can eat it all week.
- Full meal – With veggies, protein, rice, and a creamy sauce, this casserole checks off all the boxes as an entire meal in one dish.
- Versatile – This can be an easy dish for busy weeknights, part of your meal prep plan, or a way to feed a crowd.
Variations and Add-ins
A dish as simple as this offers plenty of opportunity for creativity in the kitchen.
- Heat – Add some spice to this recipe with crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper powder, or hot sauce.
- Herbs – If you have herbs from your garden, or just in your fridge, feel free to add them. Fresh thyme, sage, and rosemary are all perfect additions as is Italian seasoning.
- Cheese – Switch out the cheddar for other cheeses like provolone, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or parmesan cheese.
- Meat – This is a great way to use up leftover turkey or pulled pork instead of using chicken. You can also use ground beef or other meats — or your favorite plant-based alternative.
- Rice – Instead of white rice use brown rice or your favorite variety.
- Cream cheese – Substitute cream cheese for some of the sour cream for an even cheesier dish.
- Vegetables – Incorporate other veggies like green beans, carrots, or spinach.
- Soup – Instead of cream of chicken, try using a can of cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery.
- Yogurt – Substitute Greek yogurt for some or all of the sour cream.
If you love this easy Chicken Broccoli Casserole recipe, you’re going to love these other dinner ideas too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Other Easy Casserole Recipes
Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole
If you love this recipe for Chicken Broccoli Casserole as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH TASTE OF THE FRONTIER!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 12 oz broccoli 1 bag frozen or 1 medium head (about 2 cups) fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion small – about ½ cup, chopped
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast about 3 breast pieces or 2 cups rotisserie cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth more if needed
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup 1 can – or homemade
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Add the broccoli with some water to a microwave safe bowl, cover and cook for 6 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Remove the broccoli from the microwave, strain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add the cubed chicken breasts, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and seasonings.
- Cook the chicken until golden brown, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Note: if you are using rotisserie chicken, you won’t need this step.
- Remove the chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook it until it has lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- And chicken broth to pan with the rice, stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soup, sour cream, and mayonnaise.
- Stir the soup mixture into pan with the rice and cook until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- When the rice mixture is done, transfer it to the prepared baking dish.
- Add a layer of the cooked broccoli on top and then the cooked chicken.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese.
- Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes.
- While the casserole is cooking, mix the bread crumbs and butter.
- Remove the baking dish from oven, remove the foil, and sprinkle the top with the bread crumb mixture.
- Return the casserole dish to oven (uncovered) and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Remove and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a salad and bread if desired.
- Store any leftovers in refrigerator in an airtight container.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Share Your Thoughts