Blueberry Baked French Toast is an easy breakfast recipe for any day of the week. You’ll love how easy it is to make this overnight french toast casserole.
Wow- I feel like it’s been forever since I shared with you all a blueberry recipe. Blueberry recipes are some of my all-time favorite to make. So of course, this Blueberry Baked French Toast just had to happen.
Blueberries are also some of my family’s favorite foods to eat – so they were sure thrilled when I came up with this Blueberry Baked French Toast. Really, it’s so incredibly simple to do baked french toast. Definitely beats standing there at the griddle flipping piece after piece. It’s also cleaner too.
Baked French Toast
This post contains some affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I really don’t care for the gooey mess of the egg dribble when moving the piece of toast from the egg wash to the griddle. So just mixing & pouring over without ever having that added mess is sure a plus for me. Check out all the details below.
I had asked for a full french loaf on my grocery list. Unfortunately, the hubs came back with a slightly smaller Italian loaf. I’m not really sure the difference except it cost more for less bread. But it turned out to be the perfect amount for this recipe.
The kids were sure happy to have not only something new for breakfast but to have blueberries as part of that too.
Here are some commonly asked questions
What is baked french toast?
Basically this is a french toast casserole. We are taking pieces of bread and layering them in the casserole dish. Then we take the egg mixture & pour it over the top & let it soak the bread overnight.
The refrigeration helps with this process. Then you just bake it when you are ready to enjoy. Such an easy way to make a delicious bereakfast.
Is baked french toast soggy?
Not it you make sure it is baked all the way through. This is a common issue if there isn’t enough bread to soak up the egg mixture. So make sure you are starting with a full baking pan when adding the bread. This ensures there isn’t any pooling at the bottom and everything soaks in nicely
HOW DO YOU MAKE Blueberry Baked French Toast?
- Coat 9×13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut your bread into bite sized pieces & place in pan covering the bottom.
- Layer in some of the blueberries.
- Add another layer of bread followed by the remaining blueberries.
- In a small bowl – whisk together milk, eggs, syrup, lemon extract, lemon juice.
- Pour evenly over bread & blueberries.
- Cover & refrigerate at least 2 hours but as long as overnight.
- When ready – preheat oven.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar & butter cubes.
- Work together with your fingers or a pastry cutter until you reach a coarse crumbs consistency.
- Sprinkle evenly over the top of the prepared dish & bake until golden brown.
- Serve immediately – preferably with a little homemade lemon blueberry syrup on top.
Blueberry Baked French Toast
It was great – the kids can pop this in the oven in the morning while they are taking care of their chores like feeding the animals. Before they know it the timer is going off & it’s time to eat. Not too bad.
To make this recipe you will need…
- blueberries – fresh or frozen
- french loaf or other crusty bread
- maple syrup
- lemon juice
- lemon extract
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- cold butter
- confectioners sugar for dusting- opt.
Scroll to the bottom for the Printable Recipe
Looking for more Easy Breakfast Recipes?
Try this homemade lemon blueberry syrup on top….
Blueberry Baked French Toast
- 3-4 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 french loaf or other crusty bread
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter cubed
- -confectioners sugar for dusting- opt.
- Coat 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray
- Cut your bread into bite sized pieces & place in pan covering the bottom
- Layer in about 2 cups of the blueberries
- Add another layer of bread followed by the remaining blueberries
- In a small bowl - whisk together milk, eggs, syrup, lemon extract, lemon juice
- Pour evenly over bread & blueberries
- Cover & refrigerate at least 2 hours but as long as overnight
- When ready - preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar & butter cubes
- Work together with your fingers or a pastry cutter until you reach a coarse crumbs consistency
- Sprinkle evenly over the top of the prepared dish & bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve immediately - preferably with a little homemade lemon blueberry syrup on top