Good Morning! I’m still visiting with my family who is in town. Life is crazy full at the moment & I’m certainly ready for some comfort food. I don’t know about you- but flavors like salted caramel top my list for comfort. Add in there a little pumpkin spice & it just screams fall for me. I have about a million different things I was going to make but I kept coming back to the idea of salted caramel pudding. But I really wanted to make it more fall like- especially since I don’t do a lot of recipes with actual pumpkin in them. But I do love pumpkin spice- so I came up with…
The salt mixed with the rich flavors of caramel & pumpkin spice is the perfect blend.
Salted Caramel Pumpkin Spice Pudding
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 cups milk- room temp separated
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2-1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Measure out your milk - 2 cups & 1 cup.
- Set aside your 2 cups of milk.
- Mix flour & cornstarch to the 1 cup of milk - whisk to combine well. Set aside.
- Crack your eggs into a separate bowl- whisk & set aside.
- In heavy saucepan, melt butter.
- Add brown sugar & cook on med until it caramelizes.
- While you are whisking this butter/brown sugar mixture- gradually pour in your 2 cups of milk.
- Continue to whisk & cook until it bubbles & thickens.
- Stir in your remaining milk/flour/cornstarch mixture & whisk well until thickened.
- Ladle out 1 cup of your pudding mixture & slowly whisk into your beaten eggs to temper. Whisk until fully blended.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into pudding & whisk until well blended.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on med.
- Remove from heat & whisk in vanilla extract & pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour into individual serving bowls & cover with plastic wrap- laying the wrap directly on the pudding to keep a film from forming.
- Refrigerate to firm up at least several hours before serving.
- Sprinkle with additional sea salt for serving.