While I enjoy whipping up a hot, delicious dinner, sometimes I’m more in the mood for a spread of appetizers and snacks. When that’s the case, these savory parmesan crisps are one of the first things I turn to.
With only 2 ingredients, these cheesy crisps are full of flavor and pair well with both sweet and savory sauces, dips, and other snacks.
The main ingredient in these cheese chips is fresh parmesan cheese, of course. Then, you can add your own choice of seasoning to flavor them however you like.
Whether you’re a cheese lover like me or you’re looking for a low-carb alternative to traditional crackers, give these a shot. It’s bound to become one of your new favorite recipes!
Common Questions about Parmesan Crisps
Are parmesan cheese crisps healthy?
With just cheese and seasoning, they’re about 80 – 100 calories per serving and only clock in at 1 carbohydrate per serving. If you’re watching your sugar intake this is a perfect low-carb snack to substitute for crackers or to fulfill other carby snack cravings.
Why do my parmesan crisps have a bitter taste?
If you leave them in the oven to bake for too long they will develop a bitterness. Be sure to remove them when they are just lightly browned — you can also use a spatula to transfer them from the baking sheet to a wire rack once they have cooled slightly.
How do I keep my parmesan crisps from sticking to the pan?
Lining the baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or a silicone mat is the easiest way to prevent parmesan crisps from getting stuck.
Making Parmesan Crisps Ahead of Time
You can mix the cheese and seasonings ahead of time and allow them to remain in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake.
While some sources say that parmesan crisps can remain at room temperature without refrigeration, I prefer to play it safe and keep them chilled until serving.
Refrigerator: These crisps can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container or plastic bag. Leaving them any longer than that risks them losing their crispy texture.
Freezing: You can freeze parmesan crisps in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. However, they may not retain quite as crisp a texture when thawed.
Tips For The Best Parmesan Crisps
This is a pretty straightforward recipe for cheese crisps but there are a few steps you can take to ensure success.
- If you want to transfer the crisps to a cooling rack be sure to use a very thin spatula to make the task of removing them from the baking tray easier.
- Grate your own cheese instead of using pre-grated cheese from the grocery store. This ensures you have the freshest flavor.
- Avoid over-seasoning. Use just a bit of the seasoning you’ve chosen and then, after baking, try them and add more to taste if you prefer.
There are just two ingredients so make sure they’re both of high quality so the flavors can shine.
- Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- Seasoning such as black pepper, Italian seasoning, or everything bagel seasoning
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
You’ll just need a few standard kitchen items to make these quick crisps.
- Large baking sheet or multiple smaller baking sheets
- Parchment paper or silicone mat
- Box grater
- Medium-size bowl
How to Make Parmesan Crisps
It will only take a few minutes to prepare these so they’re perfect for when you’re expecting guests or just want a quick snack.
- Using a box grater, grate the block of parmesan cheese so that it is fine.
- Place the shredded cheese into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the seasoning that you’ve chosen to use to the cheese.
- Use a spoon to thoroughly mix the seasoning into the grated cheese.
- Use a tablespoon to portion out the cheese. Place a little pile on the prepared baking sheets.
- Repeat, placing the small piles at equal distances and leaving enough space for them to spread.
- Once all of the remaining cheese has been used, place the baking sheets in the oven and bake until the cheese is completely melted and the crisps are a light golden brown color.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven.
- While still warm, shake additional seasoning over the crisps if desired.
- Allow the parmesan chips to fully cool on the baking sheet.
- Once the crisps have reached room temperature, remove them from the baking sheet and transfer them to an airtight container for storage in the refrigerator.
What to Serve With Parmesan Crisps
You can snack on these crisps all by themselves or top them with anything you might put on a thin cracker.
- Tapenade – Gently spoon a little bit of olive or roasted red pepper tapenade on the crisps.
- Hummus – Dip your crisp into the chickpea spread or or spread it on top.
- Salad – Use these as a pretty garnish or in place of croutons on a Caesar salad.
- Cheese/charcuterie boards – These are a great addition to charcuterie or cheese boards.
- Soups – Garnish your favorite soup with the rounds of parmesan or toss them in while cooking to add flavor.
- Meats – Top with thinly sliced prosciutto or salami or spread a pate over top.
- Mustard – Spread a stone ground or dijon mustard on top.
- Sauce – Dip them in marinara or your favorite sauce.
- Fruit – Spread fig or strawberry jam on these crackers or pair with them with sliced fresh fruit.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
If you love cheese this will be the perfect snack for you! Here are some other good reasons to give this recipe a try.
- Low carb – Since these are so low in carbohydrates they’re ideal for anyone who is on a keto diet or who wants to watch their sugar intake.
- Delicious – With just parmesan cheese and a little of your favorite seasoning you’ll have a tasty snack.
- Easy – It only takes a few minutes of work to whip these up.
- Portable – You can easily wrap these up and take them to parties for serving or to give as a host/hostess gift.
Variations and Add-ins
While I kept the standard recipe simple, there are lots of ways that you can impart your own unique flavor into these cheese crackers.
- Cheese – Experiment with other hard cheeses and semi-hard cheeses. Cheddar cheese is a perfect choice or you can give gouda a shot.
- Heat – If you enjoy spiciness, try adding a dash of cayenne or chipotle powder. You can also mix some red pepper flakes into the grated cheese.
- Spices or seeds – Add the flavors of cuisines you enjoy. Basil, oregano, and onion powder are great for lovers of Italian food while garlic powder, ginger, and sesame are mild ways to incorporate Asian flavors.
- Powdered mixes – Pour some of the contents of a package of powdered ranch or onion dip mix into the grated parmesan and mix before baking.
- Bacon – Toss some natural bacon bits into the bowl with the cheese.
- Shape – To make shapes instead of rounds, place a cookie cutter on the baking sheet and spoon the cheese into it.
If you love this easy Parmesan Crisps recipe, you’re going to love these other easy snacks too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Other Simple Snacks
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese – fresh
- 2 teaspoons seasoning such as pepper, Italian or everything bagel
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line several baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- Grate the parmesan cheese and add it to a medium-size bowl.
- Sprinkle the cheese with a seasoning of your choice, stir to combine.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture onto the prepared baking sheet – spacing about 2 inches apart. Continue until all of the cheese has been portioned onto the tray.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is crisp and golden.
- Cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with additional seasoning if desired.
- Remove and store the cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.