Last week when the heat was still here I really wanted something decadent- but it was way too hot to be running the oven. I decided to sort through all my recipe ideas I have jotted down on my notepad under “things to make” & decided on trying some no bake oat bars. I thought about using berries or some of the pears I still had. But then I thought that a chocolate/caramel mixture would be just what I was wanting. These came together really quick. I’m never sure what the hubs will think about the creations I make. Sometimes he just isn’t all that in to the chocolate & other times he’s raving. Well this time he was raving- he said that these were like fudge rolled in buttery sweet oats. Oh yeah- they are pretty good. But I was super happy that I made something that he really loves too.
No Bake Chocolate Caramel Oat Bars
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 cups quick cook oats
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup homemade caramel or dulce de leche
- Grease square baking pan & set aside (I used 9x9)
- Melt butter in 2 qt saucepan over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar & vanilla- stir until melted & combined.
- Add oats & toss until thoroughly coated - cooking on low 2-4 minutes
- Remove from heat & press 3/4 of the oats in the bottom of prepared pan- covering the bottom. Set aside
- Melt chocolate chips & caramel in double boiler until it becomes a creamy liquid consistency & well combined - stir frequently.
- Remove from heat & pour over oats in pan- spread out to cover completely.
- Sprinkle remaining oats on top of chocolate/caramel layer - they won't cover completely
- Allow to cool in refrigerator for several hours to firm up.
- Bring to room temp before cutting & serving.
- Store in airtight container for up to 4 days at room temperature.