Making a homemade ice cream cake is easy. This Mint Brownie Ice Cream Cake has a brownie bottom layer & is topped with refreshing mint ice cream & chocolate syrup and sprinkles. It’s an easy ice cream cake recipe that is perfect for birthdays, holidays like St. Patrick’s Day or just because you love mint & chocolate together. It’s out of this world!
Mint Brownie Ice Cream Cake
At the beginning of the month we celebrated my son’s 18th birthday. We decided that we would make it a long weekend & head out to the apartment & celebrate there. You see, that was also Super Bowl weekend & if the hubs had come home, he would have been traveling back that Sunday night, right during the game. So it only made sense to have the boy get the following Monday off work so that we could stay there in WA for the game & travel back the following day. If you remember, I was Instagramming our adventures dining at this awesome seafood place near the sound, visiting the Capitol building & so much more. There may or may not have also been a super fun shopping spree at the mall pre-game. It was a great weekend. But one thing that was lacking was a proper birthday cake to celebrate such a huge birthday. He asked for a mint & chocolate ice cream cake & he was adamant that I make the cake. You see, my mom would always make the cakes. His birthday rolls around almost exactly 2 months after the anniversary of her passing. So the first year I tearfully tried to make something that would make her proud. It was a COLOSSAL failure in every sense of the word. I resigned myself to the fact that now that she’s gone, birthday cakes will never be the same. Since then I have avoided making any birthday cakes. We picked up one from the store for our celebration in WA. But 18 is a BIG DEAL & I knew I would have to face my issues & grant him his wish. Besides, making a homemade ice cream cake is so simple. I created this one & the following weekend we had another celebration.
What is it about mint & chocolate? It’s crazy just how delicious that flavor combo is. I don’t think I can truly get enough. I mean, I just posted about mint & chocolate earlier this week but here we are- with another scrumptious recipe. Works out great for St. Patty’s Day right around the corner. I may have to make another.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup pasteurized egg substitute
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 squares (1 oz. each) semi sweet baking chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp. mint extract
- 1 cartons mint ice cream (get the half gallon cartons- not the 1-1/2 quarts- that's a 2 cup difference in the carton size)
- 4 tbsp chocolate syrup
- 2 tbsp chocolate sprinkles
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 8-inch spring form baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until well mixed.
- Stir in applesauce, egg substitute, canola oil, melted baking chocolate and mint extract just until well mixed; careful not to over stir.
- Spread brownie mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Do not over bake.
- While brownies are cooling let ice cream sit out on the counter until it becomes soft enough that you can spread it a bit. (don't let it get too thawed but it should be easy to scoop & spread)
- Once brownies are cool & ice cream is ready, scoop ice cream on top of brownies & spread into an even layer
- Top with chocolate syrup & spread to cover the top
- Add chocolate sprinkles
- Cover with plastic wrap & freeze a minimum of 4 hours to re-set the ice cream before serving
Absolutely sinful & truly amazing! We enjoyed every bite!
*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something from a link shown here, it helps to maintain the free content that I share.
FUN STUFF I love
Looking for more delicious mint & chocolate recipe ideas?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE