As you know I have been on a cookie kick around here. It’s the holidays I suppose. I realized that when I started pulling out cookie recipes that I have stuck to the same old favorites for so very long. It was time to revamp things & make some new favorites. Since the hubs all time favorite is Oatmeal Raisin I decided to start there. To me oatmeal raisin is more of a fall thing. So I decided to take his favorite holiday drink- eggnog, and my favorite oatmeal recipes & create these ultra delicious Eggnog Oatmeal Cookies. He was pretty excited. He even asked how on earth I was going to be able to make them year round when I can’t find eggnog in the stores. Yep- guess these are a new favorite when he’s worried about stuff like that.
Really – the sparkling sugar is my favorite part. I will always find a way to use the sparking sugar. It looks like glistening snow.
These have the perfect hit if eggnog flavor to pair with the crunchy outside & chewy inside of these YUMMY oatmeal cookies.
Eggnog Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter - room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1.34ounce packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1 cup quick cook oats
- 2-1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1-3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup eggnog
- sprinkles of choice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Beat butter & shortening together in mixer bowl until smooth
- Add in sugars - beat until fluffy
- Add eggs - mix slowly until just incorporated
- Add in pudding mix, vanilla, molasses, baking soda, water & salt - beat well
- Mix in oats & flour
- Roll into tablespoon size balls & place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart
- Bake 12-13 minutes - or until tops look lightly cracked
- Cook on baking sheet & then transfer to wire rack
- Make icing by mixing eggnog & confectioners sugar in small bowl starting with 1 cup confectioners sugar & a drizzle of eggnog. You want just enough eggnog to make it dippable but not too thin that it runs off the cookie. I ended up making 3 batches like this to get through all the cookies.
- Dip each cookie half way into icing & place on wire rack to drain
- Sprinkle with decorations before icing sets
Want more great oatmeal recipes?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE