Easy Mac & Cheese is an easy family dinner idea that is ready & on the table in just 30 minutes. Rich & creamy & loaded with bacon, this mac & cheese is one of our most requested dinner recipes – ever!
I know it’s warming up for most of you & you probably aren’t thinking comfort food right now. But when I think of Easy Family Dinner Ideas – the one thing that tops my list is this Easy Mac & Cheese recipe. I like it because in the cold months I can make a double batch for our main dish. But as it warms up I can make this recipe as a side. It’s great with some BBQ or to bring to a potluck or church gathering. It’s an absolute crowd pleaser & I guarantee you will bring home an empty serving dish.
Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
This recipe is literally my “go-to” recipe when I need dinner on the table super quick. I always have noodles, cheese & bacon in the house, so whenever I am at a loss for what to make for dinner- this one always comes up a winner. The whole family LOVES it & when doubled, this recipe makes enough to not only feed my super hungry family of 5 with seconds included, but we also have enough for leftovers the next day too. I bring this to our bunco nights & there’s always enough.
This post contains some affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I always make this Easy Mac & Cheese for company. You could remove the bacon if you don’t indulge in pork – but if you love bacon….it’s the perfect crunchy, salty addition to this creamy goodness.
Easy Mac & Cheese
This is seriously THE BEST mac & cheese recipe around. It’s rich & creamy & absolutely heavenly!
Scroll to the bottom for the Printable Recipe
Looking for more quick & easy dinner ideas?
This Easy Garlic Toast goes well with this dish.
Easy Mac & Cheese
- 1 pack thick bacon- cooked & chopped optional
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt though I usually just sprinkle in the seasonings to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp minced onions
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 cup half & half
- 1-1/4 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Cook your bacon- cut & set aside.
- Prepare pasta noodles to package directions- cooking al dente so they hold up in the mixing process.
- Drain & set aside in large covered pot.
- Prepare your roux by melting your butter in a large pot over med/high heat.
- Once it’s almost melted quickly whisk in your flour & seasonings.
- Keep it moving & wait for it to darken slightly & come to a thick creamy texture.
- Whisk in your half & half & increase your heat to high to get mixture to thicken- keep whisking.
- Stir in your cheeses & heat until all cheese is melted & combined – at least 2-3 minutes.
- Pour into your pot of noodles- add bacon-
- Stir well to combine & coat everything with cheese.