Creamy Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. Making easy family dinner ideas like this homemade mac and cheese couldn’t be any easier or delicious.
Are you all ready for the ultimate comfort food?? I think you know that I love easy family dinner ideas & this one for homemade creamy mac and cheese tops my list. Whenever I’m looking for something warm & hearty & completely deliciously filling on a chilly fall day – this is my GO-TO recipe for sure. I can’t even express just how much we love this recipe. We make it every time we have guests. We sometimes double the recipe for us if we want to have leftovers for the next day. But when we make it for guests – we usually quadruple this—- which make a WHOLE LOT of macaroni. But you know what….with just 3 extra people in the house, it was still GONE! Like completely gone. People go back for thirds & stuff themselves beyond the brink because it’s just that good that they can’t get enough. It’s ridiculous!
The bacon in there is definitely optional – but adds so much to the dish!!
You haven’t lived until you have tried this mac and cheese!
It’s my family’s all time favorite thing we make.Looking for more Easy Family Dinner Ideas?
Creamy Mac and Cheese
- 1 pack thick bacon- cooked & chopped optional
- 16 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 sticks butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt though I usually just sprinkle in the seasonings to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp minced onions
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 2-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook your bacon- cut & set aside.
- Prepare pasta noodles to package directions- cooking al dente so they hold up in the mixing process.
- Drain & set aside in large covered pot.
- Prepare your roux by melting your butter in a large pot over med/high heat.
- Once it's almost melted quickly whisk in your flour & seasonings.
- Keep it moving & wait for it to darken slightly & come to a thick creamy texture.
- Whisk in your milk & increase your heat to high to get mixture to thicken- keep whisking.
- Stir in your cheeses & heat until all cheese is melted & combined - at least 2-3 minutes.
- Pour into your pot of noodles- add bacon-
- Stir well to combine & coat everything with cheese.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.