Welcome to Day 1 of my 7 Days of Memory Making ~ Holiday Recipe Series
I am taking a MUCH NEEDED break from my usual blogging routine this week in preparation for prepare for our long distance move. But don’t worry, this blog will not be abandoned. I have teamed up with the FABULOUS Danelle from Let’s Dish Recipes to bring you some really great recipes this week.
Thank you so much for joining me as I share with you some of our family’s favorite recipes during the holiday season. I wanted to kick it off with these Red Velvet Brownie Bites. I really love red velvet ANYTHING & the hubs really loves cream cheese frosting on just about anything. So these have become a HUGE family favorite in this house. They are SO GOOD! I know that when I look back on my childhood memories of the holidays most of them are tied to food in some way. I remember making gingerbread houses or popcorn balls with my mom. She also makes the very best fudge in the world. My goal during the holidays is to create those same sort of memories with my kids in hopes that they want to do the same when they are grown. These Red Velvet Brownie Bites are definitely something I know they will make with their families.
Red Velvet Brownie Bites
- Brownie ingredients
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter- diced
- 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips I actually used the squares
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. liquid red food coloring
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 8 oz. cream cheese - room temperature
- 4 tbsp butter - room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup sifted confectioners sugar
- White sparkling sugar opt.
- Preheat Oven to 325. Use either non-stick foil or just use regular foil & then spray with non-stick spray & line a metal 9"x9" baking pan. (please do this- as it helps remove the brownies from the pan later on. This is a step I contemplated skipping & doing it how I would normally do it- but I decided to follow the instructions & I was happy I did)
- Stir butter & chocolate in a heavy large saucepan over low heat until all is melted. Remove from heat. Whisk in sugar & then eggs- one at a time. Stir in vanilla, salt & food coloring. Sift flour & baking powder (I usually just run a whisk through it for a few stirs & it works perfectly) & stir in & blend well. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until puffed & dry looking- or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with some moist batter attached. (about 30-35 minutes). Cool completely in pan on a rack. (I was impatient & stuck mine directly into the freezer to cool it faster)
- Beat cream cheese & butter until lightly fluffy. Add vanilla & lightly mix. Add confectioners sugar & beat to combine. (if it's too thick- add a splash of milk)
- Using the foil as an aid- lift brownies from pan & place on cutting board. Remove foil from sides. Spread cream cheese over brownies & add sparkles. Cut brownies into bite size pieces. To get a cleaner cut- wipe the knife after each slice. In the future - I will probably cut the brownies first & make a little more frosting so I can pipe it on each bite. I think it will be more aesthetically pleasing & keep the fingers cleaner when grabbing for one.