Hello everyone!!! Are you ready for February? Can you believe we are actually talking about February? WOW! So are you starting to think of a fun & cute little treat you can make for Valentine’s Day? I have just the thing…Red Hot Kisses & Hugs Cookies. These are so easy with a classic shortbread but then cut into x’s & o’s & sprinkled with red hots – well that makes them the perfect Valentine treat.
Do you love shortbread cookies? Oh I sure love them. I had them on my list of things to make all though the holiday season – I never had a chance to make them. So having them mixed with red hots for Valentine’s Day pretty much makes up for that- don’t you think?!
You could make these 2 – ways. Either mix the red hots into the dough & then they are inside the cookie – which I did here. Or you can place them in the top of the cookie once it’s done baking but still hot. Because I chose to mix in- it made the red hots melt & some of them oozed out onto the pan. This wasn’t all bad. It made the cinnamon flavor of the red hots disburse through the cookie more. But if you want a more uniform look- add them immediately after removing from the oven. That’s probably what I will do with these on future batches.
Red Hot Kisses & Hugs Cookies
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp butter sticks softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup red hot candies
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Add butter & sugar to your mixer & beat on medium until well combined
- Add flour - you can add additional butter by the tablespoon if the dough is too crumbly.
- Add in red hots if mixing in- instead of placing after baking
- Form dough into a ball & then flatten a little
- Place on parchment & lay another piece of parchment on top
- Roll with heavy rolling pin to flatten to about ½ inch
- Use your cookie cutters to cut your x's & o's
- Place on baking sheet - bake 20 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven- allow to cool on baking sheet completely before transferring to airtight container.
- **If placing your candies on the cookies after baking to avoid melting- do so immediately after removing from oven.
Looking for more Valentine’s Day Ideas?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE