You all know how much I love Easy Family Dinner Ideas like soup. Make it tomato based & I’m all over it. Even better, add some meat, a little pasta or maybe even some spinach or other veggie & I’m in heaven. I love, love, love tomato based soups any time of year. But these chilly months really give me the excuse I need to cave into those cravings & whip up a big ol’ stockpot of hearty goodness. Really – I crave it almost as much as I crave pulled pork. Even just telling you about this soup makes my mouth water & I have to really fight the urge to head to the kitchen & make some more. This particular Macaroni & Sausage Soup was one that made me truly sad when I tried to stick to my “no going back for seconds” rule. I so wanted another helping.
This was so hearty & filling. I really did want more – then I waited just a couple minutes & the fullness started settling in. Then I was happy I didn’t stuff myself. However I was quite excited knowing that we had plenty of leftovers for the next night. I literally looked forward to it all day long. Don’t you just love recipes like that?!
Macaroni & Sausage Soup
- 2 pounds ground sausage
- 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce can tomato paste
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1 qt half & half
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp minced onion
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 6 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt pepper, granulated garlic to taste
- Top with croutons to serve
- Brown sausage in large skillet over med-high heat adding all seasonings (onions, garlic, salt, pepper & granulated garlic) as you cook
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, browned ground sausag to a large stock pot.
- Bring to a boil- stirring frequently – Add additional seasonings to taste.
- Continue to boil 5-10 minutes for flavors to marry
- In another pot cook your macaroni to package directions & drain (usually 8-12 minutes)
- Reduce heat on soup & slowly add in half & half & heavy cream – stir well
- Bring soup to a simmer- Do Not Boil. Simmer about 5 minutes
- Add in Parmesan cheese & cooked macaroni
- Stir until cheese has melted & blended into the soup.
- Serve with a little more cheese on top
Want more soup recipes?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE