This easy Instant Pot chicken and rice recipe is the perfect one-pot meal for busy weeknights. A warm dish, all cooked in one pot, means quick prep and cleanup.
Chicken and rice (with a few veggies, too) is the ultimate comfort food. It’s like a hug from your plate after a long day or on a chilly night.
The next time you’re looking to make an easy chicken dinner, consider this incredibly easy chicken dinner.
Common Questions about Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Why does chicken get rubbery in the Instant Pot?
If your chicken is rubbery, it needs to be cooked longer.
Why does Instant Pot Use Less Water for Rice?
Due to the nature of high-pressure cooking, water does not evaporate the same way it would in a pot.
Does chicken get more tender the longer you cook it?
While chicken breasts will not get more tender, drumsticks and thighs will due to gelatin from the connective tissues.
Making Instant Pot and Rice Ahead of Time
You can slice the chicken and veg ahead of time (stored separately).
This dish can be stored in either the refrigerator or freezer.
Refrigerator: Store this chicken dish in an airtight container for 2 days.
Freezing: Freeze chicken and rice for up to 2 months in a freezer-safe container.
Tips For The Best Instant Pot Rice and Chicken
This recipe is pretty easy but there are a few ways to make sure you get the best results.
- Avoid using a different type of rice, particularly brown rice, because the longer cooking time may cause the chicken to be overcooked.
- Be sure to dice and mince the garlic and onion so that they’re fine and there are no large chunks.
- Cut carrots and chicken into uniform pieces so that they cook evenly.
Simple ingredients are all you need for this simple recipe.
- Olive oil
- Onion (diced)
- Garlic (minced)
- Carrots (cut into small cubes)
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-size pieces)
- Black pepper
- Rice (jasmine rice or basmati rice)
- Low-sodium chicken stock
- Peas (frozen)
- Parsley (chopped)
- Grated parmesan cheese
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
All you need is the essential kitchen appliance for this recipe.
How to Make Chicken and Rice in the Instant Pot
Just a few simple steps will get you to the most delicious, savory chicken and rice.
- Add oil and butter to preheated Instant Pot.
- Then, onion, garlic, and carrots and cook until soft.
- Add chicken, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook.
- Once the chicken is light brown, add rice and chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Close the lid and pressure valve and adjust to the recommended setting.
- When the cycle is complete, use a natural release.
- Once all pressure is released, open and add the peas, chopped parsley, and grated parmesan to the chicken and rice mixture.
- Stir and replace the lid, and allow the peas to steam until soft.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley and parmesan.
What to Serve With Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
This dish could be a complete meal all on its own but there are plenty of sides that work well, too.
- Soup – Is there any better pairing than chicken noodle soup? You can also have a vegetable alongside, too.
- Salad – Prepare a simple green salad with your favorite dressing to have on the side.
- Veggies – Steam some broccoli or roast zucchini to have on the side.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
There’s no reason not to make this easy Instant Pot recipe!
- Easy – The amount of hands-on prep time is so minimal and the cleanup is easy, too! It’s perfect for busy nights during the week.
- Convenient – All of the ingredients are in your pantry or easy to find at the grocery store. And it’s also perfect for meal prep.
- Quick – It takes little time to make this meal that the whole family will enjoy.
Variations and Add-ins
This simple and delicious chicken and rice recipe leaves lots of room to make your own additions or swaps. Here are a few of our ideas for switching up ingredients in this hearty meal.
- Cuts of chicken – Use boneless chicken thighs or tenders instead of chicken breast.
- Spice – Add heat with cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or jalapenos. You can also change up the flavor profile by adding Italian seasoning or your other favorite seasonings.
- Herbs – Fresh herbs like thyme or sage work well in this dish.
- Powder – Instead of onion and garlic you can use onion powder and garlic powder.
- Broth – Instead of chicken broth you can use vegetable broth.
- Wine – Replace some of the broth with white wine.
- Soup – For a creamier version, try using cream of chicken soup.
If you love this easy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe, you’re going to love these other dinners too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Other Instant Pot Meals
If you love this recipe for Instant Pot Chicken and Rice as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 carrots cut into small cubes
- 1 lb chicken breasts boneless skinless – cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 ½ cups rice Jasmine or Basmati
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup peas frozen
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese plus more to serve
- Set the instant pot on the SAUTE function, let it heat up.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Add onion, garlic, and carrots; cook until the carrots start to soften about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces along with salt and black pepper powder. Cook until the chicken is light brown.
- Add the rice and the chicken broth. Stir well.
- Close the lid and pressure valve.
- Select the PRESSURE COOK button on HIGH PRESSURE and cook for 7 minutes.
- Once the pressure-cooking cycle is over, allow a natural release for 5 minutes.
- Slide the valve to vent to allow any remaining pressure to release.
- Open the lid and select the CANCEL button.
- Add the peas, chopped parsley, and grated parmesan cheese. Stir well.
- Place the lid back on the pot and let the peas cook in the steam for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Serve hot and garnished with additional parsley and parmesan.
- You can store the chicken and rice in an airtight container for 2 days in the refrigerator or around 2 months in the freezer.
- You can use chicken thighs or tenders instead of breasts if you want.
- Use Jasmine/Basmati rice for best results. Don’t use brown rice as it requires a longer cooking time and this might overcook the chicken.
- Instant Pot
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.