You know- this time of year we are grilling quite a bit. That means that we are going through quite a bit of sauces & dips for all that charbroiled goodness. Living here in North Idaho one of the things that you find a lot is huckleberry flavored things. They grow in abundance around these parts – however most people who pick them are very tight lipped about where they go. They have their favorite places & they don’t share that spot with anyone – except the bears. So I decided just to buy some- even though they are crazy expensive. One of the first things I decided to make with them was this Huckleberry BBQ Sauce. You see- homemade bbq sauce is just perfect for people like us who are grilling so often. I think I need to make this particular recipe in abundance & sock pile it in the freezer so we can have it all year long.
A little sweet with a tangy kick makes the perfect sauce for us. This batch won’t last long.
The best part is that it is so quick & easy to make- I may never buy sauce again.
Huckleberry BBQ Sauce
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1-2/3 cup fresh or frozen huckleberries you could sub with black or blueberries
- 1/4 bell pepper - finely chopped
- 2 large sweet peppers- chopped
- 1 whole garlic small minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1-1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- In medium saucepan combine all ingredients except butter.
- Cook over medium-low heat stirring until fully combined & hot (almost boiling)
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter until completely melted
- Allow to cool at least 10-15 minutes
- Transfer to blender - use caution with hot liquids!!
- Blend 60-120 seconds - or until all larger pieces are fully incorporated into sauce
- Taste test- (you can add more seasonings like salt or a couple drops of hot sauce to reach desired flavor)
- Transfer to prepared sterile jars
- Store in refrigerator or freezer.
Try this sauce on these Baby Back Ribs!
Want more sauces, dips & spreads?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE