Easy Skillet Cornbread Recipe – the perfect addition to all your summer bbq meals! Buttery & slightly sweet & so easy-everything you could want in cornbread!
I sure love cornbread. Not just because it tastes so good, but also because I have so many great memories that revolve around it. Do you have recipes you make just because they bring happy memories? I have lots & this Easy Skillet Cornbread Recipe is one of them.
Easy Skillet Cornbread Recipe
This post contains some affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Back when I was just out on my own, my mom would stop by my place on her way home from work. It was better to get in some visit time since she was driving right by where I lived, rather than her sit in traffic for hours. Many times we would meet up at a local restaurant for a bite to eat & we would always order their giant slices of honey corn bread. We would chat & visit & have a great time. Those slices of cornbread were so large that it wasn’t uncommon for us to call that dinner & then order a big slice of pie for dessert. It’s was our special time together while she was adjusting to me living apart from her. Because of that, corn bread has a special place in my heart & I make it quite often because of that.
>>>>For this recipe – you will need a CAST IRON SKILLET!
Now we make cornbread a number of ways. Sometimes we like corn or jalapenos mixed in. But I usually make this recipe with just honey because I’m often serving it with something spicy. The sweetness helps balance what we are eating & cool the tongue a bit. My favorite way to make it is in a cast iron skillet because it creates the perfect crust on the bottom while the inside stays soft & moist. I’m sure you know that cornbread is inherently crumbly, but I’m not a fan of super crumbly corn bread. It has to have a perfect consistency & this particular recipe absolutely does, which is why it’s the one I make the most often.
Easy Skillet Cornbread Recipe
- ½ cup butter- melted
- ⅓ cup raw honey
- 1 large egg - room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk- room temperature
- 1 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour - spooked & leveled - not scooped
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp table salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees & with 10" iron skillet inside
- Combine honey, egg, buttermilk & melted butter in a large bowl.
- Whisk in cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt until combined - avoid overmixing
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven & pour batter in
- Return batter-filled skillet to oven & bake 20 min. or until the edges are golden brown (use the toothpick test in center)
- Allow to cool slightly before serving - top with butter & additional honey
Doesn’t that look like the perfect pairing to a bowl of chili? Mmmmmm!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
If you make this recipe- please leave a link or tag me on Instagram @KleinworthCo
Looking for more easy family dinner ideas?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE