I think I’m on a shortbread kick here. I mentioned before that I kept meaning to make some shortbread through the holidays but never got around to it. So I was whipping up some Yummy Bar Recipes & came across a jar of Dulce de Leche in the freezer that needed to be used. It was just calling for me to make these Dulce de Leche Shortbread Bars. The light buttery flavor of the shortbread combined with the richness of the dulce de leche. Heaven – absolute heaven.
Like I mentioned yesterday – shortbread is so easy to make. It takes just a couple ingredients & you are in business. I love that this recipe does call for an egg while my recipe I shared yesterday does not. So depending on your mood, ingredients on hand or a food allergy- you have something for everyone.
The hubs is always so amazed that I think of recipes that I want to make & I can just go in the kitchen & make them. I just tell him that it’s the benefit of having a well stocked pantry. I buy most everything in bulk so that when the mood strikes I always have whatever I could possibly need at that moment. He just thought I was hoarding food I guess. Now he understands why I do what I do. 🙂
Dulce de Leche Shortbread Bars
- 1 egg
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 Dulce de Leche
- 1/4 cup pumpkin spice candy melts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Spray 8x8 glass baking dish with cooking spray- set aside
- Combine sugars, butter & vanilla in mixer & beat until combined
- Stir in egg
- Add flour - beat until well combined
- Press 3/4 of the dough into prepared baking dish.
- Place remaining dough in refrigerator until it's time to use it
- Bake 20 minutes - remove & allow to cool about 15 minutes
- Spread dulce de leche over the top in thin layer
- Drop remaining dough in clumps on top of the dulce de leche - do not spread out or press down.
- Return to oven & bake 25-30 minutes
- Remove from oven & place on wire rack in pan.
- Melt candy melts in small bowl for approx 1 minute to melt - stirring after 30 seconds
- Take a fork & dip in melted chocolate & drizzle over the shortbread bars
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Want more Yummy Bar Recipes?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE