Earlier this week we celebrated my older daughter’s birthday. I can’t believe she’s 14 – which here in the state of Idaho is legal driving age. Well… that’s not going to happen any time soon. But anyhow- she’s of the age now that a traditional birthday cake isn’t quite necessary & the whole birthday ordeal is scaled back. Something a little different is often okay with her & this year she chose this Chocolate Peppermint Cake to help us celebrate. I was happy to make it as I had only baked one other cake in the new oven & I was eager to try out another recipe. She really loves the combination of chocolate & peppermint so this cake was just perfect for her.
I was hesitant to go this route for her as we really try to keep her birthday & anything Christmas related as separate as possible. But it was her idea – so fortunately it fits with the season & I can share it here with you all now.
I decided on a light peppermint glaze this time for presentation. I wish I could have shown you a slice – but I didn’t want to pre-cut her cake before the celebration. We ended up adding just a little bit of this toasted coconut hot fudge on top which was DIVINE!
Chocolate Peppermint Cake
- 1 package chocolate cake mix I used triple chocolate fudge
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding mix 3.9 ounce
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups peppermint baking chips
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In mixer bowl - combine cake mix, pudding mix, cocoa, milk, sour cream & eggs
- Beat on medium for approx 2 minutes
- Fold in peppermint chips
- Liberally spray tour bundt pan with Bakers Joy (this is particularly important if using a bundt pan with a lot of detail)
- Pour batter into sprayed pan
- bake 55-60 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed
- Allow to cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes
- Invert onto plate & allow to completely cool before adding icing
To make icing
- Combine all icing ingredients in small bowl & whisk well
- Drizzle over cake & sprinkle with additional peppermint baking chips if desired
Want more cake ideas?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE