These crispy chicken egg rolls are an amazing combination of warm crumbles of ground chicken with crunchy veggies all wrapped in a crispy wonton. Then, there’s the savory and sweet dipping sauce to top it all off.
What I love about this chicken egg roll recipe is that it’s air fried instead of being fried in oils on the stovetop (or deep-fried). They’re still super crispy and delicious without the added fat.
The next time you’re looking to make an amazing appetizer at home, with very little fuss, try these homemade egg rolls. They’re exactly like traditional egg rolls but with so much less time and cleanup.
Common Questions about Chicken Egg Rolls
What are chicken egg rolls made of?
Chicken egg rolls are a combination of chicken, spices, and coleslaw mix all wrapped in crispy wonton wrappers.
What’s the difference between a chicken egg roll and spring roll?
Spring rolls are often filled with purely vegetables while this chicken egg roll incorporates protein. (Be sure to try our Vietnamese Summer Rolls)
Why are my egg rolls not crispy?
This is often the result of oil temperature but this air fryer recipe negates that possibility since they’re not being cooked directly in oil.
You can store leftover egg rolls easily in the fridge or freezer so that you can snack on them all week. To reheat, just bake egg rolls briefly at 350 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven or toaster oven — or pop them back in the air fryer for a few minutes.
Refrigerator: Store egg rolls in an airtight container or ziploc bags. You can also wrap them individually in aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
Freezing: Freeze egg rolls in a single layer in a freezer-safe container or freezer bags for up to 3 months.
These are some easy egg rolls but you can make them even better with a few tips or tricks.
- If you’re making a large batch, the best way to make sure you still have a crispy wrapper (and that the rolls remain warm) is by placing cooked egg rolls on a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper) in the oven at 250 degrees Fahrenheit while you cook the rest of them.
- Make the sauce ahead of time so that the ingredients are able to mingle together for a more flavorful sauce.
It doesn’t take many ingredients to put these tasty egg rolls (and sauce) together.
- Ground chicken – You can easily find ground chicken breast at the grocery store or ask for it from a local butcher.
- Ground ginger – Grind your own or find it in the spice aisle.
- Garlic powder – It’s easiest to use powder in this recipe but you can grate fresh garlic cloves, too.
- Coleslaw mix – Find this prepared mix in the produce section.
- Salt and black pepper – Add these to taste and feel free to use an elevated salt or grind your own black pepper.
- All-purpose flour – The white flour in your pantry will work well for this.
- Water – Tap water works well or use a bottled version if you prefer.
- Egg roll wrappers – These can typically be found refrigerated near the produce section.
- Olive oil spray – If you don’t have this handy, any neutral cooking spray will work.
- Reduced sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos – Find these at your local grocery store or natural health store.
- Rice wine vinegar – This can typically be found in the Asian food section or with other vinegars.
- Minced garlic – Mince your own or buy a jar of minced garlic.
- Honey – We like to use local honey, but you can use any brand you prefer.
- Green onion – Be sure to slice the green onions so that they are very thin.
- Chili garlic sauce – This helps to add a slight bit of heat to the sauce.
- Sesame oil – This ingredient elevates the sauce with its sesame flavor.
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
How to Make Chicken Egg Rolls
It takes a few steps to make these egg rolls, but once you’re finished with the prep the air fryer does all of the work.
- Add ground chicken to a preheated skillet. Use a rubber spatula to break it into pieces while cooking.
- Pour the ginger and garlic into the cooked chicken and continue to cook briefly.
- Remove from heat and drain if necessary.
- Pour the coleslaw mix into the chicken mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Then, in a small bowl, combine the flour and water to make a slurry.
- Spoon the chicken and coleslaw mixture into the egg roll wrappers.
- Fold the sides of the wrappers to close the egg rolls. Use the slurry on the final side to help the egg roll to stay closed.
- Place egg rolls in the prepared air fryer basket.
- Spray the rolls with olive oil spray.
- Cook for the recommended time.
- Turn halfway.
- Remove the egg rolls once they are golden brown and place on paper towels to soak up any moisture before serving.
- In a medium bowl, stir all of the sauce ingredients together with a whisk.
- Serve in small bowls alongside egg rolls.
What to Serve With Chicken Egg Rolls
You can serve these delicious egg rolls in a ton of ways. Here are just a couple of suggestions!
- Appetizers – Serve these as the perfect appetizer at a party, or on movie night, alongside any number of other snacks like smoked meatballs, wings, or sliders.
- Mains – Egg rolls are perfect as a starter or a side with an Asian-inspired main dish like Chinese Pineapple Chicken, Kung Pao Chicken, or Instant Pot Beef Broccoli.
Why You Should Make Chicken Egg Rolls
Don’t sleep on making these delicious egg rolls – you’ll want to have these ready to make on the regular.
- Easy – Using simple ingredients with only a little bit of hands-on prep time, these are an incredibly easy treat to put together quickly.
- Crowd-pleaser – Everyone loves the crunch of the crispy wonton wrapper before getting to the crunchy, savory insides of an egg roll.
- Versatile – These are as perfect for parties on any weekend, especially during football season, as they are for cozying up on the couch for binge-watching your next show on Netflix.
Variations and Add-ins
You can customize these crispy egg rolls however you choose.
- Meat – Instead of chicken you can use pork, sausage, beef, or your favorite meat alternative. You can also skip the meat altogether and make vegetarian egg rolls using coleslaw, bean sprouts, mushrooms, and your other favorite fresh vegetables or even white or brown rice.
- Spices – Add spices of your choice. Heat it up with some crushed red pepper flakes or gochujang or add other flavors that you enjoy.
- Sauce – Change up the dipping sauce and use any that you prefer. Try a different sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce, or even buffalo wing sauce.
- Flour – Instead of all-purpose flour (or any wheat flour) experiment with your favorite flour alternative.
If you love this recipe – You might also love my air frying cookbook too!
The Essential Air Fryer Cookbook for Two also makes everything fast and easy. Most recipes take 30 minutes or less and they’re designed with simple prep and minimal clean-up in mind. Nutritional information, serving size descriptions, and recipes for vegetarians, vegans, and gluten-free are also included. There’s so much to savor.
The Essential Air Fryer Cookbook for Two
Perfectly Portioned Recipes for Healthier Fried Favorites
If you love this easy chicken egg roll recipe, you’ll love these other air fried snacks too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Other Savory Snacks
If you love this recipe for Homemade Chicken Egg Rolls as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH TASTE OF THE FRONTIER!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Chicken Egg Rolls
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 10 egg roll wrappers
olive oil spray
- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon green onion thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground chicken, crumbling as it cooks until done.
- Stir in the ginger and garlic.
- Drain if needed but most of the liquid will evaporate. Remove from heat.
- Add the coleslaw mix and season it with salt and black pepper. Stir to combine with the chicken.
- Stir together the flour and water until well blended. Set aside.
- Spoon about ¼ cup of the filling in the middle of each egg roll wrapper.
- Tuck one side of the egg roll wrapper over the filling. Fold the sides into the middle. Then, add a small amount of the flour paste to the remaining side. Continue rolling up the egg roll to seal.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the air fryer basket with a spritz of cooking oil.
- Place the prepared egg rolls into the air fryer basket. Spritz the tops with olive oil spray.
- Cook for 7 to 8 minutes, turning halfway, until browned.
- Combine all of the ingredients together, whisk well.
- Serve with the egg rolls.
- Air Fryer
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Share Your Thoughts