These buttery nipple shots are layered shots that incorporate rich Bailey’s Irish Cream with sweet butterscotch liqueur. Your taste buds are going to be tricked into thinking you just coated your tongue with a sweet and creamy butterscotch candy.
This creamy drink is the perfect low-alcohol beverage if you like sweet shots. Made with just two liqueurs, it’s easy to prepare, and it’s sure to please everyone’s palate.
The next time you’re looking for delicious recipes for fun shots to serve at a party, give this easy recipe a try.
Common Questions about Buttery Nipple Shots
What is a buttery nipple shot made of?
A buttery nipple shot is a simple combination of butterscotch Schnapps and Bailey’s Irish Cream.
Why do they call it a buttery nipple?
During the 1980’s, when the shot became prevalent, a popular trend was to name cocktails and shots in ways that were sexually suggestive. A perfect example is Sex on the Beach.
How much alcohol is in a buttery nipple?
The buttery nipple shot has a relatively low-ABV since it’s made with liqueur. The alcohol content of Bailey’s only clocks in at 17% and the schnapps at 15%.
While the layers will not remain intact if stored, you can refrigerate these if you make a big batch mixed together and have leftovers.
Refrigerator: While technically Bailey’s doesn’t need refrigeration, it’s probably best to store any leftovers in the fridge and consume within a few days to maintain the creamy texture and ensure it doesn’t go bad.
Use these tricks to make the perfect shot.
- Try topping the shot with whipped cream for a pretty presentation.
- Hold the spoon close to the glass to avoid having the ingredients mix together.
- If you prefer, you can just mix the two ingredients together without layering.
All you need are these two simple liquors to make the most decadent shot. If you don’t already have them, they’re a great addition to your home bar.
- Butterscotch schnapps
- Bailey’s Irish cream
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
Make this sweet shot with just a couple of supplies.
- Shot glasses (a chilled shot glass is best)
How to Make This Buttery Nipple Recipe
Use these super simple ingredients to make an unforgettable shot.
- Pour the recommended amount of schnapps into the shot glass.
- Gently pour the Bailey’s Irish Cream over the back of the spoon over the top of the butterscotch schnapps.
What to Serve With Buttery Nipple Shots
These shots are a party in a glass. They are best served all on their own (after filling your belly with a little food, of course).
Why You Should Make Buttery Nipple Shots
If you like sweet, creamy drinks, you’ll love these easy shots.
- Easy – These sweet shots couldn’t be easier to make, and if you aren’t prioritizing the layering, you can make a large batch ahead of time.
- Convenient – Both liqueurs are easy to source at most shops that sell alcohol.
- Tasty – If you love the sweet flavor of butterscotch and the richness of Bailey’s, this delicious shot is for you.
Variations and Add-ins
Switch this shot up to make it your signature drink.
- Liquor – Add a splash of liquor for a stronger shot. A good option is vodka since it is the least likely to change the flavor, but you can experiment with your own favorites, too.
- Liqueur – Change up the flavor profile by adding other liqueurs like peppermint schnapps or coffee liqueur.
- Size – Instead of a shot, make a larger version for a delicious cocktail. To make a buttery nipple cocktail, stir the ingredients in a pitcher or shake it in a cocktail shaker and serve it in a martini glass or over ice in a highball glass.
- Coffee – Spice up coffees and make a creamy dessert drink by offering this shot as a mix-in for an amazing after-dinner drink. Or add it to your own recipe for an espresso martini.
If you love this easy Buttery Nipple Shots recipe, you’re going to love these other party drinks too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
More Fun Drinks
If you love this recipe for Buttery Nipple Shots as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Buttery Nipple Shots
- 1½ ounces butterscotch schnapps
- ½ ounce Bailey’s Irish cream
- Measure out the schnapps and pour it into your designated shot glass.
- Holding the spoon over the glass, with the top of the spoon level with the liquid in the shot glass, pour the Bailey’s gently and very slowly over the spoon.
● Even using the spoon, the ingredients will look like they’re mixing just a bit, this is normal. If you give it just a few minutes, it tends to separate again as long as the ingredients aren’t mixed too much.
● The fancy way to take a buttery nipple is without mixing the ingredients. However, you can serve it with both ingredients mixed together.
● These shots are great with whipped cream on the top, especially if you’re serving it mixed. I don’t prefer doing this as you have to eat the whipped cream first before downing the shot, but if you’re going for looks, this is a great topping. For the most part, these are served without garnish because they’re gorgeous all on their own.
- Small Spoon
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.