It’s COLD – which means I’m wanting comfort food. What says comfort food more than homemade mac & cheese??!! This Bacon Mac & Cheese is truly my favorite. It’s thick, creamy, super cheesy…..and has huge chunks of bacon in it. Really – you can’t go wrong here with Easy Family Dinner Ideas like this. It isn’t complicated either. We typically cook in tandem – it’s just easier that way for us. So I usually have the hubs working on minding the noodles while I make the roux. The longest part of the prep is cooking the bacon- which we do in the oven. So we do the bacon first so it has time to cool before we cut it. Then we make the other stuff & the hubs chops the bacon in the 8-10 minutes that it takes for the noodles to cook. It really comes together fast. If it’s were not so loaded with cheese – I would make this all the time for a quick & easy dinner. But we make this every couple months or so & it’s definitely a treat each & every time we do.
This batch feeds our family of 5 (with 3 teens) for 2 nights.
I actually make a half batch of roux the second night & add it to the leftovers to keep it super creamy.
All I can say is – INCREDIBLE!!!!
This makes quite a bit. We made double this amount (like a HUGE batch) for guests & it was completely GONE!
More Great Mac and Cheese Recipes
Bacon Mac & Cheese
- 2 packs thick bacon- cooked & chopped
- 48 oz elbow macaroni
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tsp salt though I usually just sprinkle in the seasonings to taste
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp minced onions
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- 4 cups low fat milk
- 2-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Cook your bacon- cut & set aside.
- Prepare pasta noodles to package directions- cooking al dente so they hold up in the mixing process.
- Drain & set aside in large covered pot.
- Prepare your roux by melting your butter in a large pot over med/high heat.
- Once it's almost melted quickly whisk in your flour & seasonings.
- Keep it moving & wait for it to darken slightly & come to a thick creamy texture.
- Whisk in your milk & increase your heat to high to get mixture to thicken- keep whisking.
- Stir in your cheeses & heat until all cheese is melted & combined - at least 2-3 minutes.
- Pour into your pot of noodles- add bacon-
- Stir well to combine & coat everything with cheese.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Looking for more comfort food?
Chicken Cordon Bleu Creamy Mac & Cheese
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE
I have a granddaughter who could eat Mac n Cheese for breakfast , lunch and dinner !! Thanks for the recipe..
Now THAT looks like some creamy mac and cheese. All of my in-laws have a major obsession so I’ll have to pass this recipe along 😉
Gail Akeman says
Bacon says it all. Always great to put in mac and cheese
Lindsay Eidahl says
Bacon and macaroni. What could be better? Thanks for sharing on Show Me Saturday!
Diane Balch says
I have a few kids in my family that would go crazy over this meal. Pinned. Thanks for sharing this with us on Weekend Bites.
Rach D says
Oh my!!! This looks amazing 🙂 Great comfort food treat!
Thanks so much for coming & linking up with us on last week’s Inspired By Me Mondays! Hope you can come join us again for this week’s party 🙂 Rachael @ Diamonds in the Rough