It’s COLD – which means I’m wanting comfort food. What says comfort food more than homemade mac & cheese??!! This Bacon Mac & Cheese is truly my favorite. It’s thick, creamy, super cheesy…..and has huge chunks of bacon in it. Really – you can’t go wrong here with Easy Family Dinner Ideas like this. It isn’t complicated either. We typically cook in tandem – it’s just easier that way for us. So I usually have the hubs working on minding the noodles while I make the roux. The longest part of the prep is cooking the bacon- which we do in the oven. So we do the bacon first so it has time to cool before we cut it. Then we make the other stuff & the hubs chops the bacon in the 8-10 minutes that it takes for the noodles to cook. It really comes together fast. If it’s were not so loaded with cheese – I would make this all the time for a quick & easy dinner. But we make this every couple months or so & it’s definitely a treat each & every time we do.
This batch feeds our family of 5 (with 3 teens) for 2 nights.
I actually make a half batch of roux the second night & add it to the leftovers to keep it super creamy.
All I can say is – INCREDIBLE!!!!
This makes quite a bit. We made double this amount (like a HUGE batch) for guests & it was completely GONE!
Bacon Mac & Cheese
- 2 packs thick bacon- cooked & chopped
- 48 oz elbow macaroni
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tsp salt though I usually just sprinkle in the seasonings to taste
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp minced onions
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- 4 cups low fat milk
- 2-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Cook your bacon- cut & set aside.
- Prepare pasta noodles to package directions- cooking al dente so they hold up in the mixing process.
- Drain & set aside in large covered pot.
- Prepare your roux by melting your butter in a large pot over med/high heat.
- Once it's almost melted quickly whisk in your flour & seasonings.
- Keep it moving & wait for it to darken slightly & come to a thick creamy texture.
- Whisk in your milk & increase your heat to high to get mixture to thicken- keep whisking.
- Stir in your cheeses & heat until all cheese is melted & combined - at least 2-3 minutes.
- Pour into your pot of noodles- add bacon-
- Stir well to combine & coat everything with cheese.
Looking for more comfort food?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE