Streusel topped Apple Crumb Cakes packed with apples & cinnamon are scrumptious! These are a positively delectable way to start your mornings with a smile.
Apple Crumb Cakes
I love making goodies to share with the hubs over coffee on the weekends. On the weekends he comes home I usually spend Friday making some sort of yumminess for us to have while we catch up on the goings-on of the week. There is usually so much to cram in to the short time we have together that we don’t want to spend half the day preparing a big breakfast. So something as quick as a little apple crumb cake is just enough to get us going for the day. In this house full of cinnamon & apple lovers, these never last long. The kids are always clamoring to get in on some of these.
I try to keep a lot of my baking seasonal, meaning that I don’t do summer flavors in January sort of thing. But while these are really a fall type recipe, they are made year round in this house. There are too many in our family that can’t get enough of that great cinnamon & apple goodness to make them wait for only one time of year. So fortunately I can get apples year round. I just can’t get the locally grown ones year round. But the ones in our stores do come from Washington- so it’s almost like we are getting them local. It’s just not 10 minutes away local – more like 30 minutes instead. Which really isn’t bad at all. Keeps everyone happy here.
Apple Crumb Cakes
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter -melted & cooled
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp cold butter cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line muffin tins (should make 12-15 muffins)
- In mixer bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon - mix
- In small bowl combine cooled butter, milk, molasses. Add to dry mixture & then add egg - beat until just combined
- Pour into liners filling about 3/4 full
- In medium bowl combine butter, flour, sugar & cinnamon & stir with a fork or pastry cutter until crumbly
- Sprinkle on top of muffin batter
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick test is clean
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to completely cool
- Whisk ingredients together & then drizzle over each muffin
- Store muffins in airtight container in refrigerator due to dairy in the glaze
- Microwave for 10-15 seconds to bring to a room temperature before serving
I’m telling you, these are the perfect little treat to start your day off with a smile.
Looking for more great breakfast ideas?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE