This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PurelySimple #CollectiveBias
Rich & decadent desserts like this Walnut & Toffee Chocolate Poke Cake don’t have to be difficult. This one is super easy & oh so delicious. Yum chocolate!
Walnut & Toffee Chocolate Poke Cake
I love cake. It’s definitely at the top of my list when it comes to treats. It was the thing my mom & I shared most often together. She made the most exquisite cakes. She was known for them. People from all over would ask her to make them a cake for whatever event they had going on. It was her thing & she had great joy sharing that special talent of hers with others. They were so delicious. My favorite thing though was the evening after or maybe the next day after- she would look at me & say “let’s have some cake”. Then we would share a whopping piece of the leftovers & sit & chat. That was our special time together. So cake is dear to me & it’s the thing I tie most of my favorite memories to.
I love having cake mixes on hand because they are so versatile in a multitude of recipes. Besides, just because I blog about food a whole lot, doesn’t mean I make every single thing from scratch. Things like cake mix save me time. So when I saw this Pillsbury Purely Simple cake mix while at my local Fred Meyer I had to give it a try. I mean, no colors, preservatives or artificial flavors are always a plus in my book. I was thrilled to make something delicious with it.
Just milk, butter & eggs are needed to make this cake mix. I like to use shortening to grease my pan & when making a chocolate cake & dust it with cocoa powder instead of flour.
Then I make my pudding for the poke layer & poke my holes. Then add the frosting layer & top with walnuts & toffee bits. So easy & wow it’s AMAZINGLY tasty!
I love the combo of chocolate, walnuts & toffee. It brings back so many memories with my mom. Even though she was a professional cake decorator in her off time, she still made cake from a mix for personal enjoyment. I think back to all those times we would make a cake just because it was fun to do. Sigh……I loved those times.
Walnut & Toffee Chocolate Poke Cake
- 1 box Pillsbury Purely Simple chocolate cake mix
- 1 stick butter
- 1 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- *For the pudding layer
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2-1/4 cup milk
- *For the frosting layer
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1-1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 cups walnut halves
- 1/4 cup toffee bits
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare your 9x13 baking pan by coating the bottom with shortening & dusting with cocoa powder
- In your mixer bowl, combine the cake mix, & butter- beat
- Add in eggs & milk & beat well for approx 2 min
- Transfer to prepared pan & bake to package directions
- While your cake is baking- make your pudding layer by combining all ingredients except the butter in a medium saucepan & bringing to a boil over med/low heat
- Allow to boil approx 1 min
- Remove from heat & stir in butter
- Allow to cool slightly while waiting for the cake to finish baking
- Remove cake & use a thin object to poke holes all over your cake- I used a chop stick
- Pour the majority of your pudding over your cake & allow it to soak in to the holes you created
- Place the cake in the refrigerator to chill while you make your frosting layer
- *For the frosting
- Combine the milk, butter & sugar in small saucepan & heat over medium until boiling
- Allow to boil approx 1 min & then remove from heat
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Once smooth, pour & smooth over cake
- Add walnuts & toffee bits
- Return to refrigerator to set for at least 30-60 minutes before serving
This is oh so delectable! You absolutely must make one yourself!
For more info on these new Pillsbury Purely Simple products or for recipes visit their website.
Don’t miss your coupon for $0.50 off too! (exp 11/30/15)
Looking for more of my favorite cake recipes?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE