This easy smoked salmon dip recipe is the perfect snack and it’s one of my favorite easy appetizers. It has a creamy base of mayonnaise and cream cheese, mixed with dill, capers, fresh lemon juice, and delicious salmon.
You can whip up this easy salmon dip in next to no time and it’s always a hit at parties. Just serve it alongside veggies, crostini, or an assortment of crackers.
Whether you’re looking for a new spread for your bagels or sandwiches or you’re trying to plan for your next party, give this smoked salmon dip a try.
Common Questions about Smoked Salmon Dip
What is smoked salmon dip made of?
Smoked salmon dip is a zesty blend of dill, capers, and lemon juice combined with cream cheese, mayo, and chunks of smoked salmon.
How is smoked salmon dip made?
Smoked salmon dip is made by combining the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. It can then be served immediately or chilled for later.
Is it healthy to eat smoked salmon?
Smoked salmon is a good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids and it’s also a good source of vitamins and minerals.
When not being served, keep the dip in the refrigerator.
Refrigerator – Store smoked salmon dip for up to 3 days in an airtight container, or use plastic wrap to cover the serving bowl.
Freezer – We do not recommend freezing dips that contain mayonnaise.
Tips for the Best Smoked Salmon Dip
- Remove the dill from its stem before adding to the cream cheese mixture.
- Avoid over-mixing so that there are plenty of pieces of salmon in the dip.
- Choose high-quality salmon for the best flavor.
Check by the seafood section in your grocery store for packages of smoked salmon. Also, be sure to allow the cream cheese to come to room temperature so that it’s easy to mix.
- Cream cheese
- Smoked salmon
- Fresh lemon juice
- Sour cream
- Fresh dill
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
The easy dip doesn’t require a lot of supplies. That means it doesn’t require a lot of cleanup, either!
How to Make Smoked Salmon Dip
All you have to do is quickly combine the simple ingredients.
- Add the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, and the juice of the lemon to the bowl of a food processor and mix until completely combined.
- Place the smoked salmon, capers, dill, salt, and pepper into the food processor.
- Pulse until just combined,
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
What to Serve With Smoked Salmon Dip
There are plenty of great dippers to dig into this delicious dip with.
- Crackers – Serve with sturdy cracker, bagel chips, or pita chips.
- Toasted bread or bagels – Spread this dip on toast or bagels for a tasty breakfast or snack.
- Sandwiches – Use the dip as a spread on sandwiches.
- Pretzels – Thick pretzels work well with this tasty dip.
- Vegetables – For a low-carb or keto snack, dip cucumber slices, carrots, bell peppers, and celery into the dip.
- Bread – Serve baguette slices or crostini to spread this delicious smoked salmon dip on.
Why You Should Make This Easy Dip
If you love the flavor of smoked salmon, you’ll adore this delectable dip.
- Healthy – This dip is a great way to sneak some vitamins, protein, and other nutrients into your day, in snack form.
- Easy – It only takes a few minutes to combine the ingredients to make this simple dip.
- Versatile – You can use it as a sandwich spread, take it to work or school for a snack, or serve it at parties.
Variations and Add-ins
This dip is easy to switch up with additions or variations.
- Tzatziki – Replace some or all of the mayonnaise for this zesty sauce that will brighten up the flavor of the dip.
- Chives – Add chives for color and flavor.
- Heat – Crushed red pepper flakes are a great way to add subtle heat to the dip.
- Fresh herbs – Add fresh herbs for an even brighter flavor
- Onion – Mix in diced red onion, white onion, or green onions.
- Lemon zest – For more lemon flavor, add a little bit of lemon zest.
- Olives – Diced olives add color and briny flavor.
- Seasoning – Try using a seasoning mix (like Everything but the Bagel Seasoning).
- Spices – Experiment with adding garlic powder or onion powder to the dip.
- Yogurt – Substitute plain yogurt or plain nonfat Greek yogurt for some or all of the mayonnaise.
If you love this easy salmon dip recipe, you’re going to love these other appetizers too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
More Delicious Dips
If you love this recipe for Homemade Smoked Salmon Dip as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Smoked Salmon Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- ½ lemon juiced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp dill
- 1 tbsp capers
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
- In a food processor, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, and the juice of the lemon. Process until well combined and creamy.
- Then add the smoked salmon, capers, dill (make sure to remove the stems), salt, and pepper.
- Process until just combined, yet mostly creamy. Make sure you don’t let it process for too long, so you keep little chunks of smoked salmon for texture.
- Serve with toast or crostini.
- Food Processor
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.