I love having donuts with my coffee on the weekends. Unfortunately it doesn’t happen all that often. Which I suppose is good for me but I still want them. We have a pretty good donut shop here close to the house. Problem is they are usually cleaned out pretty quick. So unless I can convince the hubs to get out the door & pick some up as soon as we get up at 5 – it’s slim pickin’s once we get there. But when I do get there on time I always pick the Oreo topped chocolate donuts. So since I can’t always get over there I decided to make my own Oreo Cake Mix Donuts & you know what?? They were SO GOOD!
A couple years ago I picked up a Mini Donut Maker at Target on sale for about $20. I never thought I would use it as much as I do.
They are moist & light milk chocolate donuts made simply from cake mix & topped with a cream glaze & crumbled Oreo Cookies. My hubs tried to tell me that these are a dessert not a breakfast because they are made with cake mix & topped with frosting & Oreos. Well he’s probably right – however I am a firm believer in cake for breakfast – especially on weekends. Life is short!
- 1 dry milk chocolate cake mix
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- *For the Glaze
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5-6 crumbled Oreo cookies
- 2 tbsp chocolate jimmies
- Preheat mini donut maker while you prepare your batter
- Combine the donut ingredients in a large bowl & whisk well until mostly smooth
- Once your donut maker is hot & ready spoon about 2 tbsp of batter into each donut well
- Close the lid & cook approx 5-6 minutes
- Remove & place on wire rack to cool
- Continue with remaining batter
- Once donuts are cooked & cooled combine glaze ingredients in small bowl & whisk until fully combined
- Dip each donut into the glaze to coat the top & return to wire rack
- Immediately sprinkle with Oreo crumbles & chocolate jimmies before your glaze hardens
- Allow them to set before serving
Want a few more Donut Recipe Ideas?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE