This tres leches cake is one of my favorite cakes. It’s an airy sponge cake infused with a sweet milk mixture that makes it absolutely irresistible.
I adore a super moist cake, and this one fits the bill. The sweet sponge cake is topped with a dreamy whipped cream topping that’s so fluffy and airy — there aren’t words to describe how heavenly this dessert is!
If you’re looking for a great recipe for a decadent dessert that’s sure to impress, this one should be your go-to!
Common Questions about Tres Leches Cake
What is Tres Leches Cake?
Tres Leches Cake is a popular Latin American dessert that literally translates to “three milks cake” in English. It is a light sponge cake that is soaked in a mixture of three types of milk: evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream.
The cake is typically baked in a rectangular or square pan and has small holes poked into it after baking to allow the milk mixture to seep into the cake. Once the cake has absorbed all the milk, it is topped with whipped cream and sometimes garnished with fruit.
Tres Leches Cake is known for its moist texture and rich flavor, and it is a beloved dessert in many Latin American countries. It is often served at celebrations such as birthdays and weddings, but it can also be found in bakeries and restaurants throughout the year.
What does tres leches cake taste like?
It’s a super moist cake full of sweet flavor.
Is tres leches actually Mexican?
It sure is! You’ll find it at tons of Mexican restaurants.
Why is Tres leches so wet?
All of those milks seep into the cake. It makes it rich but also moist.
Keep this cake in the fridge or freezer.
Refrigerator: Store this cake for 3-4 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container or cover the original dish with plastic wrap.
Freezing: Freeze the cake for up to 3 months.
This easy cake requires a few tips or tricks to turn out perfectly.
- Avoid overmixing to prevent the cake from being too dense.
- Keep dairy products at room temperature to achieve the best results and ensure easy mixing.
Be sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Whole milk
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Evaporated milk
- Heavy cream
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
How to Make Tres Leches Cake
It couldn’t be easier to make this easy cake.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Set the flour mixture aside.
- In a separate bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- While mixing, add eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients (already mixed) with the mixer on low speed.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake until it passes the toothpick test.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cake cool to room temperature.
- Use a fork to poke small holes into the cake.
- Whisk whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk together in a large bowl.
- Pour the milk mixture onto the cake.
- Use aluminum foil to cover the cake and refrigerate.
- Whip heavy cream with sugar to prepare the whipped cream.
- Spread over the top of the cake.
- Serve with chosen garnishes.
What to Serve With Tres Leches Cake
You could just dive right into this cake, but you can serve it aside from other options, too.
- Fresh fruit – Fresh berries and other fresh fruits are a great option.
- Ice cream – Ice cream always works well with cake.
- Chocolate – Drizzle melted chocolate over top or sprinkle chocolate chips on the cake.
- Seasoning – A sprinkle of cinnamon or other tasty spices works well.
Why You Should Make Tres Leches Cake
This delicious cake will have guests swooning.
- Decadent – This delicious dessert is rich and flavorful.
- Versatile – You can serve this dessert at nearly any event from a special occasion like Mother’s Day or a baby shower to a casual cookout.
- Easy – It’s a simple recipe that comes together quickly.
Variations and Add-ins
Make any changes that you want to make this cake your own signature dessert.
- Flour – Use alternative flours like almond flour instead of all-purpose.
- Extract – Try using almond extract or another flavor you enjoy.
- Sugar – Choose a sugar alternative that you like.
- Toppings – Top with caramel sauce, chocolate, or other sweet sauces.
If you love this easy Tres Leches Cake recipe, you’re going to love these other cakes too. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
If you love this recipe for Homemade Tres Leches Cake as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Tres Leches Cake
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature (1 stick)
- 2 cups granulated sugar divided
- 5 eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk whole
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk 1can
- 12 ounces evaporated milk 1 can
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking pan by greasing and flouring the sides and the bottom.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with 1 cup of the sugar until fluffy, about 6 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and scrape down the sides in between each addition.
- Then, add ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract and mix just until blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, scraping down the sides and beating until well blended.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and smooth the top evenly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle returns clean.
- Place the baking dish on a wire rack and poke holes all over the top of the cake with a fork. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk.
- Pour the mixture over the cake.
- Cover the cake and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to frost, whip the heavy cream in a stand mixer with the whip attachment along with the remaining vanilla.
- Continue whipping the cream while slowly adding the sugar in a steady stream.
- Continue beating the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the top of the cake.
- Serve the cake as it is or topped with strawberries and/or cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate. Please double-check with your own dietary calculator for the best accuracy. We at Taste of the Frontier cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.