Happy Your Best Weekly Everyone!!!
I have been waiting ever so patiently to share this with you all. I figured back around Easter time that I would make rock candy with the kids. Only thing is- you have to be very patient because it takes a while. Then I wanted to make more than one batch- so yet again, the waiting. So anyhow- they are finally done growing (for now- I will probably make more again soon) so I can show you these & you can hopefully make some with your kids or for a party or gathering you have coming up.
Making Rock Candy ~ Your Best Weekly
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 cups granulated sugar
- 15-20 drops food color
- 4-8 wooden skewers
- Bring water to a boil
- Start adding sugar- 1/4 cup at a time.
- Stir in sugar until it no longer dissolves. The more you add the longer it will take to dissolve. Be patient & try to get as much as you can in there.
- Take your skewer & dip it in the sugar liquid & then roll in granulated sugar to coat. Stick in plastic cup & attach a clothespin to it to keep it suspended in the middle of the cup.
- Remove your liquid from heat & allow to cool completely. This is very important.
- Fill your cups with the liquid- with this recipe you should get about 2 plastic cups worth.
- Add your food color- & stir. Put in more than you think you might need- if you want the colors vibrant. I also used the Neon shades of food color for mine instead of the standard colors.
- Set somewhere where they can be left alone for a week. Wait patiently. It will take about 3 days for small crystals to form & about 7 days to get them large enough to enjoy.
- You will notice that the liquid will crystallize on the top& bottom of cup too. You should be able to watch the process as they grow.
- When you are ready to remove- gently break the top layer. Remove skewer & leave hanging into another cup until dry.
- Once dry they are ready to eat.