Salsa Verde Tostadas are a simple chicken dinner made mostly in the slow cooker. If you love easy crock pot meals- this one is for you! Just simmer & serve.
Salsa Verde Tostadas
Most people associate the slow cooker with winter meals. But after living in the desert for all those years, I learned that cooking easy crockpot dinners during the summer was the best way to keep the kitchen cool on those hottest of days. I mean, who really wants to slave over a hot stove when they are already way too hot from that summer sun? I know I didn’t then & even though I live in a cooler climate now, I still like to keep summer meals simple. Toss & go is my motto for dinner as often as possible. Which is why I just can’t get enough of these salsa verde tostadas. I just simmer the chicken in my favorite crockpot with some great sauce & seasonings for a few hours. Then when it’s time to eat, I fry the tortillas & it’s time to assemble.
This post contains some affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I have to say, anything with salsa verde quickly becomes my favorite. I can’t get enough of the stuff. So when we put these together it was really hard to not go back for seconds. I already couldn’t stuff another bite in- but boy I sure wanted to. These were absolutely INCREDIBLE!
Simmering the chicken in the salsa verde just gave it so much flavor. Slightly spicy with that great roasted tomatillo flavor. Mmmmmmm- I already want more. I also really love the fried flour tortilla. They puff up almost like naan, but much lighter. It’s seriously addictive.
Salsa Verde Tostadas
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large (64oz) can green enchilada sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced onions
- salt/pepper to taste
- ½ cup peanut oil
- *Tostada pairings - re-fried beans, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, lettuce - anything you like to add to your tostadas
- Combine chicken, enchilada sauce, broth & seasonings to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for a minimum of 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours - stirring & turning every few hours
- *Note- all slow cookers cook differently - watch your time It may cook faster.
- You will know it's done when it falls apart when pierced with a fork
- Remove & shred in large bowl
- In a deep fry pan or short stock pot, heat the oil, and drop one tortilla in until it starts to brown & puff up, flip, and brown the other side. These cook in about 30-60 seconds.
- Continue until all shells have been fried.
- Place cooked tortillas on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Add beans & chicken to your cooked tortillas with your favorite ingredients.
Bottom line- if you want a show-stopping dinner that takes little to no effort. These will be your favorite!
Looking for more easy family dinner ideas?
To see where I am linking today- visit HERE